Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Bathroom outlet and lights not working, circuit breaker not tripped

Old 06-24-12, 04:47 PM

I live in a condo that is 12 years old that I bought a couple years ago and I do have basic electrical knowledge. A few days ago my master bath lights and outlets stopped working. I did some digging in this forum and members suggested locating a tripped GFI outlet in on all circuits throughout the house. I have located each one and tested the breakers and reset them and no luck.

There is one outlet in my master bathroom that is on it own circuit in the breaker board that is GFI protected that does work. The others on the separate circuit do not work. I pulled the outlet and tested the wires with my fluke meter, the hot wire tests 120 volts at the outlet however I get nothing from the neutral and in turn nothing when I probe the outlet itself.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or have any further suggestions (I would hate for it to be something simple I am looking over and have to call an electrician).

Last edited by steven17s; 06-24-12 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling in title was incorrect
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-12, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
But did you look for a GFCI receptacle? In your post you write about breakers. They are two different things. When you measured did you measure both hot to ground and hot to neutral? What was those readings? Did you check connections at all the working devices on the same circuit not just the non working devices. Did you move any back stabs to the screws?

Old 06-24-12, 06:24 PM
A few days ago my master bath lights and outlets stopped working.

There is one outlet in my master bathroom that is on it own circuit in the breaker board that is GFI protected that does work. The others on the separate circuit do not work.
Just for clarity, it sounds like you're saying that you have some outlets (receptacles) in your master bathroom that are not GFCI protected. Is that the case?

Old 06-25-12, 05:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you take your voltage reading, if you get voltage from hot to ground, but not hot to neutral, you have a failed connection in the circuit. It now becomes an easter egg hunt to find it.

Do you have other receptacles in other bathrooms that work besides the on the other circuit?

Old 06-25-12, 08:05 AM
Group Moderator
My first thought is there is a GFCI receptacle tripped and you have just not found it yet - they are often found in non-intuitive locations.