Electrical Outlet issue - Now no power anywhere

Old 06-24-12, 06:46 PM
Electrical Outlet issue - Now no power anywhere

So I gave a friend of mine the idea of replacing the broken outlets in the place he just moved into. Parts are literally broken off the outlets and don't hold plugs at all. So instead of being patient and waiting for someone who knew what they were doing he attempted this himself....

With his tester he started in the kitchen, turned the breaker off no power...starts to replace the outlet...shock. He didn't realize the outlet was being fed by two separate breakers/circuits. Somehow he managed to hook everything up despite this. However, he didn't know outlets have the removable tabs for this case.

Turned the breaker back on, and within seconds trips. So he turns it back on, and bam no power anywhere now. So what happened? Did his main trip (he doesn't have access to this)? Possible breaker destruction?

Hope this makes sense. I'm kind of laughing/angry with him for attempting such a task he has no knowledge about.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-12, 07:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If your friend had both legs feeding the receptacles and they did not break the tabs on the hot sides the breaker would have tripped instantly, not after a few seconds. Did they look for a tripped GFI in the kitchen? Can you post a pic of the wires in the box?

Old 06-24-12, 07:25 PM
It probably was instantly...I'm only telling you what I was told. I don't have pics of anything. From what I was told there's 2 neutral, 2 hot and grounds. The tab was not removed on the new outlet initially.

He now has no power anywhere in his one bedroom place. He doesn't have access to his main breaker. So could that have tripped?

I know this sounds like bs with the friend thing, but it's the truth. If this was myself I wouldn't be so vague. Just clarifying a little.

Old 06-24-12, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
...one bedroom place. He doesn't have access to his main breaker.
Sounds like an apartment. He needs to call the landlord.

Old 06-24-12, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I will not defend working on property that your friend may not own, but they should have access to their breaker panel.

Old 06-24-12, 07:33 PM
He did call, but since it's Sunday nobody is available. It's kind of a a crumbly place and don't have "emergency" services.

Old 06-24-12, 07:36 PM
I'm sure that's a possibility. He'll find out later than sooner I would imagine.

Old 06-24-12, 07:50 PM
With his tester he started in the kitchen, turned the breaker off no power...starts to replace the outlet...shock. He didn't realize the outlet was being fed by two separate breakers/circuits.
Does your friend live in Canada? This does not sound like a U.S. installation.

Having said that, it's the landlord's property and the landlord's responsibility. Your friend may be violating the terms of the lease by undertaking this work himself.

Old 06-25-12, 05:18 PM
Well maintenance fixed it for him. Please close/delete thread. Thanks for your help.