Single Pole Installation - GE SunSmart Digital Timer

Old 07-16-12, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I will take a picture and find that "white" cable that goes the black and red travelers.
Thanks. Just to be clear, I don't see any white cables in your pictures. I do see a number of white wires. A wire is a single conductor. A cable is a group of 2 or more wires (conductors) in a single sheath. It may or may not have a ground wire. The sheath may be cloth, plastic, or metallic. See the terminology section of Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light + Basic Terminology.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-12, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1. I traced that white wire again that goes with the red and black travelers and it goes to the white neutral bundle. I have taken a picture of it and it is the one with the blue tape on it.

The other black common wire that is connected to the 3 way switch comes from another cable. This separate wire has the other white wire going to another bundle of wires with the green rubber band. The other wires on this green rubber band bundle includes 2 more black wires from separate wires and 1 wire that pigtails to the other entry hall switch.

Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 07-31-12, 05:43 AM
I was finally able to get back to this project after so many projects and things to do... :-)

How's this picture?
As you can see, the "common" wire comes from the second to the left cable with the "C" blue tape label. The "travelers" comes from the second to the right cable with the "TR" tape label. Hope this picture will help and solve this mystery wiring. I really appreciate all the suggestions and feedbacks...

Thanks in advance...!

Attached Images  
Old 07-31-12, 03:15 PM
Thank you for the new picture. Let's try again.

As you can see, the "common" wire comes from the second to the left cable with the "C" blue tape label.
We can see that there's a black wire coming from the 2-conductor cable that is the second from the left as the cables enter the box. We can't see where that wire goes or how it is spliced or terminated, and we can't see where the white wire in the same cable is going.. in fact, we can't see where any of the wires are going - only which cables they are in and your two tags.

If that black wire is connected to the point, or common, screw - the black screw - on the 3-way switch that controls the driveway(?) lights from the hallway and if the white wire from the same cable is spliced in with the large splice of neutral wires, and if when you disconnected that black wire and tested it for power, you had the power on at the breaker, then that 2-conductor cable should be the cable going out to the lights. IOW, that is the load.

Are all three of those conditions true?

Old 08-08-12, 06:10 AM
Yes, that is correct... All three conditions are correct...

Thanks!

Old 08-12-12, 10:05 AM
Yes, that is correct... All three conditions are correct...
Then we've now established that the load wiring enters the hallway box, and we've established which cable, and which pair of wires, feed the load. We're ready to finish this.

You're going to wire this timer the same way you did the first one.

Turn the power off and remove the two (red and black) traveler wires from the 3-way switch in the hall. Cap them off. Follow the white wire that is in the same cable as those two wires to the splice that it is in. Remove it from that splice, straighten it out to make sure you got the right wire, and cap it off.

Remove the last black wire from the 3-way switch and connect it to the blue wire on the timer. Connect the black wire on the timer to unswitched power and the white wire to neutral. Move the ground wire from the 3-way switch to the timer.

Turn the power back on and test everything.

Old 08-13-12, 07:25 AM
I am sorry but I am little confused. So the black and red travelers will not be used?

Remove both black and red travelers and cap them off.

Follow the white wire that is on the same splice and remove it from the splice and cap it off.

So now, I will connect the last black wire with the blue wire on the timer.

When you say connect the black wire on the timer to unswitched power, what does this mean?

White wire from new switch will go to neutral bundle?

Connect ground wire to the 3 new timer.

What happens to the "red" cable on the switch? wont' be used?

So we have the travelers "capped"? Is this right?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-12, 09:36 AM
I am sorry but I am little confused. So the black and red travelers will not be used?
That's correct. You did say you would prefer to eliminate the switch for this circuit in the garage, didn't you?

Remove both black and red travelers and cap them off.
Right.

Follow the white wire that is on the same splice and remove it from the splice and cap it off.
No.
Originally Posted by Nashkat1
Follow the white wire that is in the same cable as [the two traveler] wires to the splice that [the white wire ends] in. Remove it from that splice, straighten it out to make sure you got the right wire, and cap it off.
So now, I will connect the last black wire with the blue wire on the timer.
Yes, IIRC. You have the instructions.

When you say connect the black wire on the timer to unswitched power, what does this mean?
Connect it to power that isn't controlled by a switch. wherever you got the power for the other timer will work. Remember,
Originally Posted by Nashkat1
You're going to wire this timer the same way you did the first one.
with the exception of the load, but you've already done that by this point.

White wire from new switch will go to neutral bundle?
Yep.

Connect ground wire to the new timer.
What happens to the "red" cable on the switch? wont' be used?
IDK. Did you have a red wire on the other timer?

Old 08-13-12, 09:56 AM
I see... Yes, I would like to eliminate the switch in the garage.
1. So, I will cap off the red and black travelers.
2. Then, follow the white wire that is spliced on the same cable as the other black and red travelers and cap off this white cable.
3. Now, I will connect the black wire with the blue wire from the switch.
4. White wire from the switch will go to the neutral bundle.
5. I see what you mean, I will follow that first wiring I did.
6. Yes, there was a "red" cable also on the first switch we did and we capped it off and we will cap this one also.

What do I do with the switch in the garage? just put a "tape" cover on the switch so it doesn't turn off/on?

I'll give it a try... Thanks!

Old 08-13-12, 10:31 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What do I do with the switch in the garage? just put a "tape" cover on the switch so it doesn't turn off/on?
Haven't followed the whole post but if it is no longer used remove and replace with a blank plate if single gang. If double gang and not Decora replace with a cover that has one switch opening and a blank. If Decora use a blank insert in that side of the Decora plate.

Old 08-13-12, 12:05 PM
If I remove the switch in the garage, do I just "cap-off" those wires that came from the switch? Thanks!

Old 08-13-12, 12:14 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If it is not used there should be no wires to it. If you remove the switch "those wires that came from the switch" will not be there when you remove the switch since they are a part of the switch or am I misunderstanding you?

Old 08-13-12, 12:34 PM
Currently, the other 3 way switch is located in the garage. Should I not touch it and just leave it the way it is? or remove the switch and cap-off the wires in that switch? Thanks!

Old 08-13-12, 01:22 PM
2. Then, follow the white wire that is spliced on the same cable as the other black and red travelers and cap off this white cable.
No. Then, follow the white wire that enters the hallway switch box in the same cable as the red and black travelers from the point where it emerges from the cable sheath to its end. Remove it from the splice it is in. Cap it off

You can just leave it there. It will be dead now. Or you can replace it with a blank filler plate or remove it and change out the cover plate, as Ray suggested.

Old 08-13-12, 01:44 PM
1. So we will be capping-off the black and red travelers and the white cable that is on the same sheat as the black/red and cap-off this white cable as well.

2. The blue cable from the new switch will go to the other black cable.

3. The green cable from the new switch will go to the ground cable.

4. The red cable from the switch will be "unused" and will be capped-off as well.

5. The black cable from the new switch will now go to the same splice as the first original single pole switch?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-12, 03:10 PM
So we will be capping-off the black and red travelers and the white cable that is on the same sheat as the black/red and cap-off this white cable as well.
Actually, you will be capping-off the black and red travelers and the white wire that is in the same cable sheath as the black/red travelers.

The black cable from the new switch will now go to the same splice as the first original single pole switch?
The same splice as the black wire from the other timer goes to, yes.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-14-12 at 10:20 PM. Reason: improve tone