Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Tropical Storm Debbie water intrusion TRIPPED CIRCUIT BREAKER will not reset

Old 06-25-12, 08:21 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The electrical panel in my garage had some water intrusion from above in the ceiling and must have gotten into the actual switches. The power was out in the master bedroom only and when I went to inspect the panel the corresponding number listed for that breaker was tripped. I reset the switch and the power in the master came back on. Later that night after alot more rain the power in the master bedroom went out again , so again I went back to the panel in the garage and the same breaker was tripped again. However now it will not reset? when you flip the breaker it flipps back and will not stay in the open posisition? I no longer have power in the master bedroom, so I went to the panel and noticed there seems to be some rain water getting into the garage its following down the PVC conduit in the ceiling. I dried everything with a towel , used my air compressor to purge any visible water drops away from the panel on both the inside and the outside. I can see some resiude on the outside of the breakers from the water, just a light stain almost white looks like it has dried up. I am wondering if I am able to just replace that switch that wont reset? Can I unscrew the panel and just clean everything? Is there danger from the water intrusion? Can I close the main 200 amp switch and then clean everything? What is the reccommended procedure for this problem? I can probably get an electrician here tommorrow but if I can save some money and time that would be great.... Thanks in advance .>>S

Here is a pic of almost 27 inches of rain in two days WOA!!!

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-12, 08:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Wow, you guys really got hammered up there; we were watching the radar and how much of that was drifiting across Pinellas/Pasco.

Old 06-25-12, 08:52 AM
L
yes it was just so slow moving and we have some areas very close to the gulf and the intercoasta.l things are better today we are out of the line of storms so far but just south and just north they are getting alot of rain again today

Attached Images    
Old 06-25-12, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I've got family in Dunedin, but don't think they got quite that much.

Old 06-25-12, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You may want to read this:

http://www2.dnr.cornell.edu/ext/EDEN...lect_equip.pdf

As a minimum I would start by replacing the breaker and definitely fix the leak.

Old 06-25-12, 09:19 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
the same breaker was tripped again. However now it will not reset? when you flip the breaker it flipps back and will not stay in the open posisition?
I think that you're saying that when you move the breaker handle to the fully OFF position it won't hold there, and that it flips back to the TRIPPED position. If so, and if the problem persists after a day or so of drying, you may need to replace the breaker. Since it protects a bedroom circuit, you should replace it with the same amperage AFCI circuit breaker.

One other suggestion: After you turn off the power at the main breaker and uncover the panel you can, in addition to drying up any visible water, try tightening the screw clamping the branch circuit wire into that breaker. You can also check other termination screws, especially those on the neutral bus. Just stay away from the lugs where the feeders from the meter are terminated. Those will still be hot!

Don't over-tighten the screws. The recommended torque should be printed on the label on the inside of the panel door.

Old 06-25-12, 09:30 AM
L
Yes exactly when you flip the switch back to the normal operating on posistion it wont stay there it flipps right back to the tripped posistion not allowing any power to the master bedroom.

Alright great thanks for the advice I will be sure to turn the main breaker off , then remove the metal casing around the panel, check that everything is dry and clean, making sure that the screw is tighented properly to that branch for the master bedroom breaker.

It turns out the water intrusion is getting in around some of the window frames the wind is blowing from the west pushing the rain in on the south side of the house as it moves quickly from the west heading east and north. Only this part of the house has intrusion so far basicaly in the same place on the side of the house but two different rooms the garge and right above in the living room. We have only been here six months so this was the first major storm to dump rain us now we now we have some issues, thanks again for the help I will post back when I make some progress thanks ..>>S

Old 06-25-12, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
To reset the breaker it needs to be turned off and then on. It does not reset from tripped to on.

Old 06-25-12, 10:41 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Yes exactly when you flip the switch back to the normal operating on posistion it wont stay there it flipps right back to the tripped posistion not allowing any power to the master bedroom.
I wouldn't pull the cover off the panel yet.

What I said earlier was
I think that you're saying that when you move the breaker handle to the fully OFF position it won't hold there, and that it flips back to the TRIPPED position. If so...
PCBoss just said it more plainly:
To reset the breaker it needs to be turned off and then on. It does not reset from tripped to on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: