Help wiring ceiling fan with no previous wiring

Old 06-27-12, 06:23 PM
Help wiring ceiling fan with no previous wiring

I currently have a switched outlet in my bedroom, with the switch by the door. I would like to install a ceiling fan light, and would like to change the outlet to be always on, and have the switch control the ceiling fan. I've taken off the cover from the switch and the outlet so I can describe the existing wiring.

The switch is very simple, it just has one cable going into the box, and one white and one black wire are attached to the switch.

The outlet is a little more complicated. There are 3 cables coming into the box, lets call them cable A in the top left, B in the top right, and C up from the bottom left. The grounds for all three are connected with a wire nut. Another piece of copper goes from the wire nut to the ground on the plug. White A, Black B, and Black C are all connected with a wire nut. Black A goes into the upper right terminal on the plug. White B goes to the upper left terminal on the plug. And White C goes to the lower left terminal on the plug.

I'm a very handy do it yourselfer, but am a little limited on wiring experience. I'd like to do the job myself, but don't know how to start as far as the wiring. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  26.5 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  35.1 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  45.3 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  37.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-12, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Two ways to do this. I would recommend you run the ceiling fan cable from the switch box because of fill but if it is easier to run it from the receptacle you can. Let us know where you want to run the new cable from and we can go from there.

Old 06-27-12, 06:41 PM
I definitely want to run the ceiling fan cable from the switch box, not the receptacle. I'm not sure what fan I am going to use yet, if it comes with a remote then all i need is a simple switch. If it doesn't come with a remote, how much complexity would I add by using one of the switch pads which lets me select the fan speed and turn the light on/off?

Old 06-27-12, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
how much complexity would I add by using one of the switch pads which lets me select the fan speed and turn the light on/off?
Not much really. I would suggest though running a 14-3* or 12-3* NM-b so if you decide to replace with a fan that doesn't have a remote.

*#12 for 20 amp breaker. #14 for 15 amp breaker.

Above is based on what appears to be NM cables so I am assuming single family residence not New York City where NM-b would not be code compliant.

Old 06-28-12, 03:27 AM
Great. I'll check my breaker size. Yes, I'm in upstate ny in a single family home. So how would I wire this up?

Old 06-28-12, 05:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
After determining the correct wire size and running it between the switch box and the newly installed fan rated support box, you will make some wiring changes. The white that is in the bundle with the black will be removed and spliced to the other whites. The receptacle will be replaced and wired as it is now, except you will not need to break out the tab on the brass side.

At the switch the black is the hot. The white will now be a neutral and splice to the white in the cable going to the fan. All grounds together and to the switch.

If you run xx-3 cable you can have independent controls for the fan and the light.

There are fan speed and dimmers that will fit in the switch box you currently have.

Old 06-28-12, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
To run the new cable to the switch box with out damaging in Sheetrock I would remove the existing box, use the resulting hole to fish the wire, then install an old-work box. The existing box can be removed by cutting the nails holding it to the stud using a hacksaw blade or a Sawzall.

Note if the new fan requires only one hot the red of the new xx-3 NM-b cable to the fan will be capped with a wire nut at both ends and not used.