GFCI seems to work intermittently

Old 06-28-12, 08:17 PM
GFCI seems to work intermittently

I noticed that the green led on GFCI outlet in my garage was not on. I hit the reset button a few times and nothing happened. I plugged a couple of things into it to test it and there was obviously no power as nothing worked. My freezer is/was plugged into it but everything was still frozen so it stopped working at least within the past day or so.

I thought maybe the breaker for it was off but everything was still on in the panel. I flicked the breaker for it but nothing happened. I then noticed when I plugged something into it but didn't push it all the way in, like a mm shy of being flush, the green led came on and the device I plugged in had power. As soon as I pushed it in flush the device would stop working and the green led would turn off. I could wiggle it again a bit and it would work.

Since there's obviously power going to it is it just a case that the outlet is burned out. It's not that old but this was a new house and I wouldn't be shocked if they used the cheapest outlet they could find.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-12, 08:35 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Since there's obviously power going to it is it just a case that the outlet is burned out.
I would turn the breaker off, pull the GFCI, and check the connections to it. It sounds like one or more of them could be loose.

Old 06-28-12, 11:16 PM
I've had this problem multiple times with Leviton GFCI's.

Old 06-29-12, 08:53 AM
I've had this problem multiple times with Leviton GFCI's.
Justin, did you have to replace the GFCI, or was the problem with the connections?

Old 06-29-12, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The problem sounds like a loose connection. The wire may be outside the clamp on the GFI, but when it touches the GFI will appear to work.

Old 06-29-12, 10:36 PM
Justin, did you have to replace the GFCI, or was the problem with the connections?
The connections were all tight. I ended up replacing the GFCI.

Old 06-29-12, 11:27 PM
The connections were all tight. I ended up replacing the GFCI.
IC. Since Leviton didn't work so well, I'm curious: What did you find that did?

Old 06-30-12, 08:36 AM
C. Since Leviton didn't work so well, I'm curious: What did you find that did?
Of the hundred or so Gfci's that I installed, the cooper's seem to only last a year or two. I've never tried Hubbell. The most luck I've had was with P&S, with only 2 failures(out of approximately 70), which started buzzing and smoking when power was applied. The only thing I've never had fail was a GFCI breaker, those things seem to last forever.

Old 06-30-12, 08:56 AM
The only thing I've never had fail was a GFCI breaker, those things seem to last forever.
That's been my experience too. A couple that I installed in 1982 are still in service and doing well.