GFCI seems to work intermittently

Reply

  #1  
Old 06-28-12, 08:17 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1
GFCI seems to work intermittently

I noticed that the green led on GFCI outlet in my garage was not on. I hit the reset button a few times and nothing happened. I plugged a couple of things into it to test it and there was obviously no power as nothing worked. My freezer is/was plugged into it but everything was still frozen so it stopped working at least within the past day or so.

I thought maybe the breaker for it was off but everything was still on in the panel. I flicked the breaker for it but nothing happened. I then noticed when I plugged something into it but didn't push it all the way in, like a mm shy of being flush, the green led came on and the device I plugged in had power. As soon as I pushed it in flush the device would stop working and the green led would turn off. I could wiggle it again a bit and it would work.

Since there's obviously power going to it is it just a case that the outlet is burned out. It's not that old but this was a new house and I wouldn't be shocked if they used the cheapest outlet they could find.

Thanks for any help!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-28-12, 08:35 PM
Nashkat1's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 8,470
Welcome to the forums!

Since there's obviously power going to it is it just a case that the outlet is burned out.
I would turn the breaker off, pull the GFCI, and check the connections to it. It sounds like one or more of them could be loose.
 
  #3  
Old 06-28-12, 11:16 PM
Justin Smith's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cressona, Pa, USA
Posts: 2,546
I've had this problem multiple times with Leviton GFCI's.
 
  #4  
Old 06-29-12, 08:53 AM
Nashkat1's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 8,470
I've had this problem multiple times with Leviton GFCI's.
Justin, did you have to replace the GFCI, or was the problem with the connections?
 
  #5  
Old 06-29-12, 11:22 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,587
The problem sounds like a loose connection. The wire may be outside the clamp on the GFI, but when it touches the GFI will appear to work.
 
  #6  
Old 06-29-12, 10:36 PM
Justin Smith's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cressona, Pa, USA
Posts: 2,546
Justin, did you have to replace the GFCI, or was the problem with the connections?
The connections were all tight. I ended up replacing the GFCI.
 
  #7  
Old 06-29-12, 11:27 PM
Nashkat1's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 8,470
The connections were all tight. I ended up replacing the GFCI.
IC. Since Leviton didn't work so well, I'm curious: What did you find that did?
 
  #8  
Old 06-30-12, 08:36 AM
Justin Smith's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cressona, Pa, USA
Posts: 2,546
C. Since Leviton didn't work so well, I'm curious: What did you find that did?
Of the hundred or so Gfci's that I installed, the cooper's seem to only last a year or two. I've never tried Hubbell. The most luck I've had was with P&S, with only 2 failures(out of approximately 70), which started buzzing and smoking when power was applied. The only thing I've never had fail was a GFCI breaker, those things seem to last forever.
 
  #9  
Old 06-30-12, 08:56 AM
Nashkat1's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 8,470
The only thing I've never had fail was a GFCI breaker, those things seem to last forever.
That's been my experience too. A couple that I installed in 1982 are still in service and doing well.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes