Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How do I hook a 3 wire plus ground to a 2 wire plus ground outlet?

Old 06-30-12, 05:01 PM

I guess my question is where do I hook up the red wire? does it get hooked up with the black wire? A detailed explanation would be appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-12, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Is this a switched receptacle? If it is, then on the hot side, with the brass screws, you will break the connector between the screws, attaching the black wire under one of the brass screws and the red wire under the other one. Most likely the one with the red wire will be switched. Before you do a lot of hooking up, verify with us that it is actually a switched receptacle. We don't want you lighting up things that shouldn't be lit.

I type faster than Nashkat1 !!

Old 06-30-12, 05:22 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I guess my question is where do I hook up the red wire? does it get hooked up with the black wire?
More information is needed in order to answer your question:

What are you trying to do? Are you adding a new 3-conductor cable into a receptacle box in order to conduct power to a new outlet? If so, what are you supplying power to, and why have you decided to use a 3-conductor cable?

Old 06-30-12, 09:35 PM
I type faster than Nashkat1 !!
ROFLMAO! There aren't many folks who don't, Larry!

Old 07-01-12, 02:01 PM
Ok, I hoped I could avoid the long explanation but I guess I can't.

My girlfriends ex-husband owned the local radio shop and he loved to make his own circuit boards and do all kinds of over the top projects. Like the couch in our home theater that vibrates when there is an explosion in the movie we are watching.

One of his projects that I just tore out of the cabinet here in the office was a home made circuit board and receiver that he could control the sprinkler system with his two-way radio. All of this stuff was hooked up to an eight pole terminal strip with all kinds of jumpers and resistors that just wasn't necessary to water the lawn since we don't have FM radios to operate it the way he did. When I unhooked everything I discovered two outdoor lights and an outdoor receptical no longer work. All of that is on a 3 wire plus ground cable. The only power nearby is a standard outlet in the cabinet here in the office that also has the sprinkler system timer in it. So what I am trying to do is hook the outside lights back up. The cable to the standard duplex outlet is 2 wire plus ground. Hooking up to it is my only option short of a major rewiring. Everything outside is still hooked up I just need to get power to it. Thanks!

Old 07-01-12, 02:08 PM
P.S. The outside lights are each switched and after the outside receptical. All are mounted on the antenna tower outside in weather tight boxes.

Old 07-01-12, 02:23 PM
And you expected us to figure out your problem from your OP??!! I am not sure why the entire story wasn't told at the beginning. That's water under the bridge.
Now. Where does the three wire cable originate? Where does it terminate? what is hooked to the last receptacle in line, wire wise, number and color? How many and what color wires are in each switch box to the lights outside?

Old 07-01-12, 03:22 PM
When I unhooked everything I discovered two outdoor lights and an outdoor receptical no longer work. All of that is on a 3 wire plus ground cable.
That cable feeds the outdoor receptacle and lights? And it's just hanging in the cabinet, not hooked to anything?

The outside lights are each switched and after the outside receptical.
What cables enter the box with the outside (GFCI) receptacle in it? How many wires of what color are in each cable? How are those wires terminated or spliced? Most importantly, which wires, from which cable. are connected to the LINE terminals on the GFCI and which wires, from which cable. are connected to the LOAD terminals on the GFCI?

And you expected us to figure out your problem from your OP??!!
Wow.

Old 07-01-12, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry, Nash, it was just that with no information, it seemed he wanted us to solve his problem, then once explained, it was more complicated than anticipated.

Old 07-01-12, 09:16 PM
My apologies, Larry. What I thought I was saying was Wow,
And you expected us to figure out your problem from your OP??!!
I guess I could have just said it that way. Hm.