Troubleshooting a GFCI Circuit

Old 07-02-12, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting a GFCI Circuit

I have a single pole 15A Square "D" circuit breaker feeding a single 15A GFCI receptacle. The15A GFCI receptacle powers a Zoeller Corporation Qwik Jon Grinder pump. The GFCI receptacle keeps tripping off. As the receptacle was over 10 years old, I opted to replace the original 15A GFCI receptacle with a new one. However, the GFCI receptacle continues to trip off. As soon as I attempt to reset the receptacle, the Grinder pump kicks in and the GFCI receptacle immediately trips off. What might the problem be? There is no moisture in the area of the GFCI receptacle.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-12, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Sounds like something is wrong with the grinder, as the receptacle trips when it comes on. Can you turn off the grinder to verify it is the cause of the receptacle tripping by resetting the receptacle and then turning the grinder back on after a delay?

Old 07-02-12, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grinder Pump Reset

The only way to turn the grinder on and off is to unplug it from the receptacle. I can unplug it, reset the GFCI receptacle, wait a period of time, and then plug it in once again and see what happens.

Old 07-02-12, 06:14 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
The only way to turn the grinder on and off is to unplug it from the receptacle. I can unplug it, reset the GFCI receptacle, wait a period of time, and then plug it in once again and see what happens.
And if the GFCI then trips, you have a problem with the pump.