New Circuit Question

Old 07-04-12, 03:10 PM
New Circuit Question

In my unfinished basement, I have just one outlet (the single one required by code I believe) and I'd like to add a circuit of 5 or 6 outlets. These outlets would be along the walls forming a boxy capital J - so short wall, short wall, long wall. The electrical panel is in the corner near where the bottom of the J short wall meets the long wall.

Can I run straight down from the service panel to a junction box and then branch out both ways? Essentially connecting three of each wire (white, black, and ground) in the junction box. Or do I need to run a line to one end of the J and connect as I go all the way through to the other end?

All examples I've seen always start at one end of a diagram and work to the last outlet/light. Just wondering if branching off from the middle is even possible.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-12, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Remember any junction box you install must remain exposed and you must use an approved cover plate. So much for the ugly aspect of a Jbox. You can come out of your panel with two cables, pigtailed in the panel and run one in one direction and one in the other, if that would make it easier. But, yes, generally you run them in a complete circle.

Old 07-04-12, 04:15 PM
Since all receptacles are wired in parallel it is possible to "branch off" in any manner at any place.

Remember, ALL receptacles in an unfinished basement need to have GFCI protection. This can be done by using a GFCI circuit breaker OR by using a GFCI receptacle in the first of the string and wiring all "downstream" receptacles from the "LOAD" terminals of the GFCI receptacle.

Old 07-05-12, 06:34 AM
Can I run straight down from the service panel to a junction box and then branch out both ways? Essentially connecting three of each wire (white, black, and ground) in the junction box.
Yes. So long as the box with three cables in it has enough space ( at least 18 in.[SUP]3 [/SUP]for #14 or 20.25 for #12) you can connect the wires from the panel to the LINE terminals on the GFCI receptacle and the wires from the other two cables to the LOAD terminals, and run each way from there.

Last edited by pcboss; 07-05-12 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added box sizing for #12 and corrected math