wiring 3-way switches for several lights

Old 01-21-01, 01:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

We are attempting to wire 4 fluorescent lights to 3-way switches. We want all the lights to go on and off at the same time. We want each switch to be able to turn the lights on and off no matter which switch was used last.
Currently each switch turns all the lights on and off, but they do not work as three-way switches, i.e. the switch that turns them on is the only one that can turn them off. Can you suggest where we should be looking for the error and what to do when we find it?
Thank you.
added 2/22/01
I'm not sure if this is the way to add information as you requested. I was afraid of that("8 ways to do it right and a thousand ways to do it wrong") We are using 12-3 wire and the power goes to switch # 1. But now the answer would be simply academic as my son-in-law, who is doing the actual work, added seven more lights and actually got them all to work properly just about 30 minutes ago. I have no idea what he did to correct the problem. I think I'll just call it a miracle and let it go at that.
Thank you for responding. We're not finished with this project. I may be back here very soon.

[Edited by Roz on 01-22-01 at 12:35]

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-01, 02:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are about eight ways to wire it correctly, and about a thousand ways to wire it incorrectly. Help us out. Please describe what you did to wire these fixtures.

For starters, just tell us what kind of cable you used (i.e., black/white/ground or black/white/red/ground) and how you routed it (e.g., power to switch1 to switch2 to light1 to light2..., or perhaps power to switch1 to light1 to light2 to ... to switch2).

Without a little more information, we're just groping in the dark.