Delay-on circuit for Compressor Fan?

Old 07-09-12, 05:26 AM
Delay-on circuit for Compressor Fan?

My generator is able to run my heat pump (A/C) only if the Compressor and the Fan do not start at the same time. The startup amps of both at the same time is too much.

Is there a delay-start circuit that I can add to the heat pump for this? The circuit board does not appear to have this onboard and is wired using a single relay and start-capacitor for both the compressor and fan. I will likely have to add a seperate relay. Could probably use the same start-cap if an additional relay is added.

I'm an amateur radio operator and have always done my own house wiring. If there's something out there already, I could add it or copy the circuitry if it's not to invasive.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-12, 03:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What size generator do you have? If marginal, running the AC is probably not a good idea. Too much amperage.

Old 08-19-12, 05:07 PM
Sequencer 24a34-1

You could use a sequencer to control the blower. It would have about a 10 second delay after the compressor kicked on. You could even add one to the condenser for the fan outside but it might be a PITA to wire up. Compressor would come on 1st then the blower/condenser fan about 10 seconds later.

Be careful doing this, triple check your wiring. Doing something wrong could easily blow something up. Not recommended unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

Old 08-20-12, 03:57 AM
Here are some samples of what's out there.

Time Delay Relay - Relays - Electrical - Grainger Industrial Supply

Old 08-20-12, 05:34 PM
My generator is able to run my heat pump (A/C) only if the Compressor and the Fan do not start at the same time. The startup amps of both at the same time is too much.
You know, you have 2 fans to power. In addition to the condenser fan at the heat pump, you also have the air handling unit fan. I think your generator is just too small.