Battery Backup to Auto Sprinkler System?

Old 07-09-12, 08:43 AM
Battery Backup to Auto Sprinkler System?

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, hopefully I am posting this in the right place.

I have a built in automatic sprinkler system in my home. When the power goes out it wipes out the programming and I have to reset it which is a pain to do. Is there a small/cheap battery backup I can get that I can plug it into so that if the power goes out I donít have to reset it? It looks like the LCD display is the part that is plugged into the wall so I canít imagine it uses a lot of electricity. Here is a picture of it:

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  32.7 KB

Looking for the cheapest possible option if possible and if you have a link for what to purchase that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Nathan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-12, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
From what I found...that model should have a 9V battery installed to retain the memory. According to the manual a fresh battery will retain the programming for 6 hrs.

See page 5 here http://www.rainbird.com/documents/diy/man_ISAseries.pdf

The only thing that would maybe last longer is to plug the transformer into a UPS for electronics and then remember to turn the timer to the Rain/Off position after the power goes out. You'd have to turn it off so the UPS doesn't have to run the system valves. If it did that...it probably wouldn't last very long either. Cheapest UPS would run at least $50

Old 07-09-12, 09:17 AM
Ahh, wow, thanks so much for finding that for me Gunguy45! Didn't even think to check if it had a 9 volt in it that needed to be changed. I'll check on that, and good point on turning to off so it doesn't try to run the valves.

Thanks again.

Nathan

Old 07-09-12, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Just to be clear....it won't try to run the system on just the 9V battery...that's purely for the clock and programming.

If you went with the UPS thing...it would think it still had AC power from the wall and WOULD try to run the system...so you'd have to turn it off.

Old 07-09-12, 09:41 AM
Got it. Thank you.

Nathan

Old 07-09-12, 02:22 PM
One thought: If the space will hold it, this seems like an ideal app for a lithium-ion 9V - you know, the ones that say they'll last for 10 years in a smoke detector?

I say "If the space will hold it" because these seem to be just a bit bigger than a standard alkaline 9V, and I've run across a couple of 9V battery spaces they wouldn't squeeze into.