Intex Pool Temp Power

Old 07-11-12, 01:59 PM
Intex Pool Temp Power

I have one of those Intex pools that go up for the summer, and are taken down (If i get to it) in the Fall. Power is 150ft away at a GFCI outlet on our front porch. That is the only outlet around the exterior. We kept it off the ground from animals and water as much as possible by hanging it on the side of the vinyl with Xmas light clips, like Xmas lights Even though it is an outdoor cord, every little thing I can do is better.

I have an extension cord running to the pool, but am wondering how I can turn it on and off without plugging/unplugging it especially when wet. I want to do it safely especially since its in a wet area. To my convenience, there is already a wooden 2x4 sticking out of the ground 3ft that was used for a hanging plant. I use this to keep the connection off the ground.

I am looking for a safe, outdoor, solution for a switch to turn the pool pump on/off for maintenance and swimming at the pool. The post is approx 5 ft away from the pump, and I currently just have the pump plugged in, and electrical taped to the post to keep it off the ground.

Do they have some kind of "Power Stake/Switch Outlet" that I can use and is weatherproof, and can be plugged in. I wanted to keep it off the ground so if the pool was to flood, or whatever, the outlet/switch wouldn't get soaked.

I wanted something similar to a regular pool pump power pole, and weatherproof toggle switch with an in use cover.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-12, 02:06 PM
Group Moderator
Personally, I would put a switch on the outlet and mount it inside the house (assuming that was not a significant amount of work, which it would not be in my house).

Old 07-11-12, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Extension cords are only intended for temporary use. You need to run permanent power out to the pool. Unless the extension cord is #14 or greater, and most aren't, given the distance you may be causing an early failure of your pool pump due to voltage drop. How many amps does your pool pump draw. If you can give us that info we can better tell you how to set that up.

An example: Amazon.com: Arlington GPD19G Gard-N-Post Outdoor Landscape Lighting Garden Post with Outlet Cover, 19-Inch, Green: Home Improvement

Old 07-11-12, 03:08 PM
Well......I have no intention of running permanent power to a temporary pool. Our breaker panel is maxed out, and drywalled around. And I couldn't add wiring underground due to a patio, walkway, gravel, arbor/fence, sprinkler piping and a lot of vegetation and gardens. It would cost way to much to run power out there, and destroy our yard.

The pool pump is only 0.7 amps. I get 118v at the end of the cord with the pump running. Almost no voltage drop. Its 16/3 gauge 100ft and 50ft basic orange outdoor extension cord.

The cord is only used for the pool during the summer from June to September, then it is wrapped up, and put out again for Christmas in the front yard.

I needed just a switch that would be safe to use when wet, and a weatherproof safe way to plug the pump in near the pool and turn it on/off. I can get a regular 3 outlet power stake with a switch, but even though its for outdoor wet locations, I feel it wouldn't be safe in the area where water is always splashed and flooded. The link "ray2047" posted would be ideal if I could add an outlet and switch to it with a 14/3 gauge cord on there.

Old 07-11-12, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
I'd suggest removing the single gang box the GFCI is in and replacing it with a double gang box then adding a switch/receptacle combo off the load side of the GFCI receptacle. Or plan B amusing a brick wall and flush mounted single gang box use an extension ring and conduit to connect a second single gang box for the combo above the first.

The link "ray2047" posted would be ideal if I could add an outlet and switch to it with a 14/3 gauge cord on there.
Use a combo switch/receptacle and connect SOW or SOWJ cord to it and a cord cap (plug) on the other end to make a temporary power station.
Name:  Swth_Recep.gif
Views: 5342
Size:  5.4 KB

Old 07-11-12, 05:32 PM
Thanks! I think I may just get make a power stake. To change out the outlet and put a switch on there would be too much since that outlet isn't used that much anyway.

I decided to use the 2x4 that I have in the ground already, put a 2 single gang WP boxes on the post with conduit in between, and a GFCI outlet/in use cover (have one already anyway), with a WP toggle switch/cover. Then use about 10ft of 14/3 SOOW and put a WP plug on the end.

For the short 1ft run in conduit. Should I just use the SOOW, or UF-B? I know NM-B is not for wet locations. I would think the SOOW since it will be removed from the post along with the pool.

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2703/electricu.jpg

Old 07-11-12, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
I would just use a short length of SOW.

I would suggest mounting both the receptacle box and the switch on a board with PVC conduit connecting them. The board could then be hung on your post using key hole slots and the post allowed to remain in place.

Old 07-12-12, 07:49 AM
Excellent suggestion! Thank you very much! I'm off to Home Depot in a bit to get the supplies.

I can't thank everyone enough! I was always worried having to plug/unplug the stupid pump when I was cleaning it. Especially with wet feet and wet hands

Thanks again! If I remember, I will upload a picture of the completed project in a few weeks.