neutrals from 2 circuits tied together

Old 07-13-12, 10:01 AM
neutrals from 2 circuits tied together

I got a call yesterday about some wiring not working at on of my old landlords on the dining room/kitchen circuit that powers the 1200 watt 1ton ac unit, well the problem ended up being all back-stabbed outlets on the circuit and when I pulled the outlets out the wires pulled out like nothing, anyways when i got to the jBox that feeds the garbage disposal, I noticed the neutrals from the light above the sink(on the living room circuit) were tied to the ones for the G-D which is powered from the Kitchen-Dining room Circuit, now i was quite sure these shouldnt have been tied together because that ties basically the whole upper floors neutrals together, but I didnt mess with it for fear even more heating of the wires will occur when they have the ac and the diswasher and micorwave all running on this circuit.

what do you think?

Ben Hvac Technican

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-12, 10:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Two issues. One is that all the conductors of the circuit need to be run in the same cable or raceway. The other is that if the two circuits sharing the neutral are on the same leg of the panel you risk overloading the neutral. It could carry up to 2x the circuit ampacity and would overheat and could cause a fire.

You also sound like some circuits are being shared that should not be.

Old 07-13-12, 10:18 AM
the neutrals isnt shared really there are 2 seperate neutrals coming in from 2 circuits, and 2 going out one to the light and one to the disposal but all tied together , and yes lots of sharing that shouldnt be

Old 07-13-12, 10:28 AM
there are 2 seperate neutrals coming in from 2 circuits, and 2 going out one to the light and one to the disposal but all tied together
Your first instinct was right. This should be two separate 2-wire splices.