Temporary extension cord for chest freezer ok?

Old 07-14-12, 05:49 AM
Temporary extension cord for chest freezer ok?

We recently bought a chest freezer, but unfortunately the cord length puts the freezer in a position that is pretty much right in the way. I plan to put an extra outlet in a much more convenient place, but realistically I will likely not get around to that for a couple weeks or so. As a non-permanent solution, would using a really short 12 gauge (the circuit is 20 AMP) extension cord be an issue for a timeframe of around a month or less? Should I go 10 gauge to be safe or would that be overkill?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-12, 06:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
12 gauge cord, no less and short, say 4' or so would be the max, and for only a short time. Try to find an air conditioner extension cord. The wires are laid parallel and molded, rather than twisted in the casing. Put a reminder on your I Phone to tell you to put in the extension receptacle, as you will forget it.

Old 07-14-12, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
As Chandler posted, cords are OK for temporary use. Keep the cord as short a possible. A 14 gauge cord would likely be fine but 12 is better.

Old 07-14-12, 01:28 PM
So after some searching online and in-person, I can find no 12 gauge appliance/air conditioner cord less than 9 ft. I can find 14 gauge cords as short as 3 ft (which is really all I need). Would it be better to be 6 ft longer than I need and 12 gauge or really short and 14 gauge.

Old 07-14-12, 01:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either should work fine

Old 07-14-12, 02:20 PM
Group Moderator
Whichever is cheaper.