dorbell/transformer problems...need help!!!

Old 07-15-12, 04:14 AM
dorbell/transformer problems...need help!!!

I have a front door and back door with buttons and just replaced my chime.. I think I have it wired correctly but have issues.. the trans wire is in the middle and front doorbell is fine...the rear doorbell is also wired correctly and the button is lit up but when I press it I just get a humm....when I look at the wall box it seems like the spring rod doesnt wanna reach the chime.....I tried un hooking the front and connect it to rear and it works fine....Is my transformer too small to have 2 doorbells....I am suspecting that the house originally had only 1 doorbell and the transformer was only made for 1 doorbell??? can someone help me? also what size transformer do I need? the one I have is actually mounted to a junction box/pull chain light in my basement!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-12, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! With newer chimes you need to change the transformer to a 17v. unit. Check the specs on the new chime and I believe you will note that is the case.

Old 07-15-12, 06:21 AM
I have an Edwards 598 transformer rated 30 VA @ 16 VAC. It operates three separate Angelo solenoid chimes and two incandescent-lighted pushbuttons with no trouble. 16 AWG wiring.

My old transformer, probably the original 1920s model, operated one small gong-style bell and unlighted pushbuttons OK, but tested at under 12 VAC and would not operated the new chimes.