Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Extending Well Pump Control Electrical and 120 VAC service

Old 07-15-12, 03:35 PM

Hello All - Am a new DIYer, with my first post.

I am roughly 90% complete with the construction of a new shed, into which I plan to move all of my well water conditioning equipment and irrigation controls and valves. I will need to extend the electrical service from the existing well location to the shed (roughly an additional 25'). The existing well pump is driven by a CRC pump controller. Also at the well is a 4-outlet box with standard 120 VAC. This circuit is currently used by the two recycling controllers (one on top of the carbon tank, and the other on top of the fiber tank), a chlorine injection pump, and an irrigation controller. I have also used this outlet box to run power tools and other small electrical appliances (fans, etc.) from time to time, with no issues.

The well pump controller and the 4-outlet box are on two different circuits, both running from the main breaker panel in my garage. The existing cabling to the well location is buried, and seems to run all the way under the house foundation to the well (total run length is roughly 100'). I do not yet know what the current cabling is (gauge and # of wires) for either circuit. The well pump controller appears to be on a 10A 220 VAC circuit by itself. The 120 VAC circuit is on a different circuit, which I believe is a circuit shared by another area of the house (i.e. perhaps my master bedroom, which is the closest side to the well). All circuit breakers in the master breaker box are 10A, either 110 or 220 VAC.

I would like to be able to extend both the CRC controller and the 120 VAC circuits into the shed. I have a few questions related to this effort, that I would appreciate feedback on:
1 - Can the existing circuits be extended into/through a secondary circuit breaker box inside the shed? If so, what are the requirements to do so?
2 - If a secondardy breaker box can't be used, what would be the best method to bring the circuits into the shed and provide a 'master cutoff' for each circuit within the shed?
3 - What would be the recommended method to actually extend the cabliing for these circuits? Buried J-Box? In-line splices finished with weatherproof heat shrink? Something else?
4 - Is there a reason that the CRC controller should not be moved further away from the well head itself (it is currently mounted on the top of the main well pipe).
5 - Any suggestions on the best hardware/approach to bringing the new service into the shed? (Shed is standard lumber construction on a slab. I plan to bring the electrical in through a side wall which will eventually be vinyl-sided).

Thanks in advance for any feedback and/or suggestions provided.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-12, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1) You can only have one circuit to the panel in the shed. I would make it sufficiently large enough to handle all the loads you will have.
2) Install a main breaker with sub breakers to handle the circuits you will need.
3) For the length you have and the most likely under sized wiring, I would bury a new feed from your main panel in the house to the sub panel in the well house.
4) You can mount the control board anywhere you want, just make sure it can be disconnected within sight of itself, and run load wiring to the well.
5) Either use direct burial cable, or run it in conduit. In either instance, you will need to sweep up out of the ground with conduit and connect it to an LB to take it into the shed to connect to the sub panel.
Hang in there, as others will chime in with possibly better way of doing it.

Old 07-15-12, 04:04 PM
1 - Can the existing circuits be extended into/through a secondary circuit breaker box inside the shed?
No.

2 - If a secondardy breaker box can't be used, what would be the best method to bring the circuits into the shed and provide a 'master cutoff' for each circuit within the shed?
Actually, what you need is a secondary breaker box in the shed. It's called a subpanel, it needs to be fed with new feeders (four conductors) from your main panel, and it's what chandler suggested.

3 - What would be the recommended method to actually extend the cabliing for these circuits? Buried J-Box? In-line splices finished with weatherproof heat shrink? Something else?
Not to be extended.

4 - Is there a reason that the CRC controller should not be moved further away from the well head itself (it is currently mounted on the top of the main well pipe).
Answered in post #2.

5 - Any suggestions on the best hardware/approach to bringing the new service into the shed? (Shed is standard lumber construction on a slab. I plan to bring the electrical in through a side wall which will eventually be vinyl-sided).
Either a direct-burial cable protected where it is above ground, or four individual THWN conductors in conduit.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 07-15-12 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 04:20 PM
Chandler/Nashkat1 -

Thanks for the very prompt feedback!

It seems that you are both telling me that I need to dig a trench from the main panel to my new shed, so I can add new circuits to the main panel. Is that really the only way to do this? I ask because the trench you're suggesting, given that I would have to go AROUND the house, would end up being somewhere in the neighborhood of 200' to 250'!! Never mind the irrigation, gas lines and other obstacles I have to avoid in the process.

That's the reason that I was hoping to be able to simply extend the existing cabling. I have been told that if I were to do that, I couldn't use a secondary breaker panel in the shed since it is unlikely that the existing circuits are 4-wire. Instead, I would need to bring the wiring in and simply have a pair of switches (one for each circuit) that could be used as 'master cutoffs' for each circuit. Would that work, without it being a safety issue?

Old 07-15-12, 04:28 PM
I would need to bring the wiring in and simply have a pair of switches (one for each circuit) that could be used as 'master cutoffs' for each circuit. Would that work, without it being a safety issue?
It sounds like what you have now is not code compliant by current standards. Extending it will not bring it into compliance.

Old 07-15-12, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the wiring under your foundation in conduit?? If it has more than one cable in it, then you can pull them out and possibly have enough room to pull a 4 wire cable, then continue with the run without splicing.
But, yeah, you can't extend the circuits, and applying individual "switches" would not be in code compliance. Dig down and see if the original cables are in conduit or not, and what size conduit it is.