Outdoor wiring idea, plus question

Old 07-18-12, 03:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Outdoor wiring idea, plus question

A friend/customer asked me to add a receptacle on the outside foundation wall of his house, primarily to provide power for a lift he wants to install at one end of the new balcony/deck he's building.

The existing conditions include a run of 14-2/G UF that penetrates the foundation off to the right, just under the rim joist, and turns down to run underground to a nearby shed/workshop. This branch feeder is a dedicated circuit, and is in 1/2" PVC where it is above ground. But it has no GFCI protection anywhere.

What I'm thinking is: Disconnect the 14-2/G UF from the SP breaker it feeds in the workshop. (Maybe demo the breaker and its enclosure while I'm at it.) Pull the cable back until it's hanging out of the LB where it first comes out of the house. A few inches down - low enough to clear a foundation vent with the new run - cut the 1/2" PVC and install a 3/4" T-body, using two reducing bushings.

Run 3/4" pipe + 12' horizontally, mount a standard WP box w/ 3/4" KOs, pull the panel feed to there and make up the LINE terminals on a GFCI receptacle. Pull a new length of 14/2/G UF off the LOAD terminals back to the T-body, down and over to the workshop. Hit the light switch. Have the light switch control the receptacles, if it doesn't already do so.

Questions and critiques welcome.

Here's my question -

I would like to use a GFCI that mounts horizontally but has its receptacles mounted vertically, i.e., ground up or down. I've seen these. So has the associate I talked to at big orange. But neither one of us can find one.

Does anyone know who's making these, and where one might be bought?

Old 07-18-12, 03:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The last one I saw I demoed from an old installation. I have not seen a horizontal GFI on the shelves.

Old 07-18-12, 07:04 PM
The last one I saw I demoed from an old installation.
Thanks, PC. Did you hang onto it, by any chance? Can I drive over and buy it from you?

OK, seriously, here's where I'm coming from. When my client/friend and I were walking the job, we both envisioned the cord cap for the lift as being a flat 90. That is, the same kind that many refrigerators and dryers have, where the cord comes out of the "bottom" of the cord cap and drapes down the wall. That's why the horizontal GFCI came to mind. But we didn't know that. He was going to check on it. I'll get in touch with him and see what we've learned.

Old 07-18-12, 08:11 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Could you use a dead face GFCI and a rotating receptacle? 360 Electrical 36010-W | Duplex Receptacles | Westside Wholesale
Name:  10960-1_15.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  17.1 KB

Old 07-18-12, 09:41 PM
Just a teaser. I can't find any place that actually sells them.
Name:  gfci_t.jpg
Views: 3574
Size:  3.2 KB

Old 07-19-12, 07:59 AM
Could you use a dead face GFCI and a rotating receptacle?
That's not a bad idea. Lessee...

Mount a 2-gang WP box so that the devices mount horizontally... Mount the dead face GFCI above the rotating receptacle... Mount a bubble cover so the slots face down... Hmmm...

Yeah, that might work. Wonder if I can buy that rotating receptacle locally.

Old 07-19-12, 08:01 AM
Just a teaser. I can't find any place that actually sells them.
:NO NO NO:

Old 07-19-12, 09:04 AM
I actually used Google Image Search not Google search. I found quite a few hits for rotating receptacles, but all were screw-less. Not sure how you would mount a bubble cover. Maybe a 2 gang something like Amazon.com: Arlington DBVR2C-1 Outdoor Electrical Box with Weatherproof Cover for Flat Surface Construction, Clear, Vertical/2-Gang: Home Improvement
Name:  419bDmbVQhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 2223
Size:  9.1 KB

Old 07-19-12, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I didn't read through the entire thread—was too lazy. Just keep in mind, if the devices are going outside--depending on your jurisdiction--they will need to be WR/TR rated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: