Bending Strut Channel

Old 07-23-12, 08:33 AM
Bending Strut Channel

Has anyone attempted to heat and bend strut channel?

I need to create a 180 degree arch out of all strut or some sort of strut channel and figured if I cut a wood form, heat the channel, and work the channel around the form with a hammer and block of wood that is should work. Any thoughts?

Also, should I cool it quickly or a slow cool down?

I placed this post under electricians as you guys work with this material more than most subs.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-12, 09:21 AM
I need to create a 180 degree arch out of all strut or some sort of strut channel
In my experience of working with strut, the intention has always been to use the material for the purpose it was intended for: to create a stable, unbending support system.

That said, I imagine that it could be done. Perhaps, though, if you tell us what your design goal is we might be better able to help you arrive at a solution.

Old 07-23-12, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most of the pipe racks use straight strut and are connected using pre-made fittings.

I might suggest calling a machine shop or blacksmith.

Old 07-23-12, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Never really worked with strut...but I have with other types of U channel.......bending it in an arc is going to be darn near impossible. The sides of the U either have to compress or stretch...and thats not going to happen without dies and massive amounts of pressure.

Old 07-23-12, 10:45 AM
I suggest that you forget the idea of bending strut yourself. As others have stated, that stuff is made NOT to bend. You would have to have a large (area wise) fire to heat the entire area of the proposed bend to a bright red heat and even then the form you used would have to have many clamps to keep it from kinking as it was bent. The wall would definitely kink as it was bent unless you could keep it hot and bend it very quickly, something that would be all but impossible in a home-shop environment.

Old 07-23-12, 10:47 AM
thats not going to happen without dies and massive amounts of pressure.
or a LOT of cutting and welding!

Old 07-23-12, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
OK, let's take another approach: what is it you're actually trying to accomplish?