Multiple AC input/single output switch for garage light?

Old 07-23-12, 05:15 PM
Multiple AC input/single output switch for garage light?

I just recently completed a build on a 650 sq ft two bay, 12 foot ceiling height garage. There are 3 garage doors, one for a pass through. I have flush troffer lights in the ceiling. Each garage door has its own remotely controlled light that is supposed to mount on the ceiling. I did not want three individual lights sticking out of my flush ceiling, so I chose to mount a central round florescent fixture that would be activated by gutting the stock light housing and using the remote switching module. Turns out that the light module has only a single memory channel and can only be programmed to one garage door opener at a time. The only way I see this working is to mount all three modules in the attic so that what ever door gets opened, the light can go on. However, I think I need a switch or relay of some kind in between the 3 remotes and the light itself. It has to accept only one 110v input at a time and exclude the other two inputs until the remote timer goes out. My question is, is there such a switch? I have included a diagram to make my wordy explanation easier. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-12, 06:38 PM
I think I need a switch or relay of some kind in between the 3 remotes and the light itself. It has to accept only one 110v input at a time and exclude the other two inputs until the remote timer goes out. My question is, is there such a switch? I have included a diagram to make my wordy explanation easier. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
I think you could use a definite purpose contactor with outputs from the modules paralelled to the coil IF all three openers are powered by the same circuit. This way, any of the three openers would turn on your light. I did something similar once to fully light up my garage and the back yard between the house and a detached garage at a previous house.

Old 07-23-12, 06:53 PM
If all three controllers are powered from the same source you can parallel all three outputs. Just be certain you connect the hots from each controller together and the neutrals from all three controllers together. If they are cord and plug connected to the source be sure you use polarized plugs.

Old 07-24-12, 11:35 AM
I had thought about this option but was not sure it was possible. It seemed almost too simple, but as long as it's on the same source, there will be no issue with the phases. I will give it a try and report back. Thanks again.