New guy trying to do a project and need help.

Old 07-24-12, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New guy trying to do a project and need help.

Hi guys and gals,
My name is kevin and I work in physical therapy. Right now I'm attempting to wire up a light and switch configuration to help my patients but I wanted to see if it would work on paper before I put it together. Included is a pic of what I have so far. The entire object is as follows. The patient will reach up to the left or to the right(depending on which way I have the board flipped), hit an already lit switch(blue red or green). This switch will then activate a light of a corresponding color on the other side of the board which they will then have to shut that light off by hitting a momentary switch. So to recap The board will be in front of them with a green lit switch, red lit switch, and blue lit switch to their left. They will then be told to "hit the green switch". By hitting the green switch it will activate a green LED on the right side of the board. They will then be told to reach up and turn off the light briefly via the momentary switch. Then I can repeat the action with the blue and red light. The board will be approx 4 feet wide or so. My questions so far as A) is this going to work?? and B) do illuminated switches have seperate circuitry to keep the light illuminated or do the lights and switch circuit travel the same circuit? Thanks for your help and for helping my patients.Name:  Wiring Diagram Test.jpg
Views: 4801
Size:  12.7 KB

Last edited by Kpowell101986; 07-24-12 at 04:38 PM. Reason: pic
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-12, 06:48 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
I work in physical therapy. Right now I'm attempting to wire up a light and switch configuration to help my patients
Is there a commercial U.L. Listed version of this apparatus available? I think I'd hesitate to provide a home made light board to patients without some type of regulatory approvals unless you have mighty good insurance. Assuming you work in a clinic or hospital, don't they provide you these things?

Old 07-24-12, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Joe makes a very good point.

However, it appears that you have a battery in the diagram which would lead me to believe this will be battery powered and therefore safe.

I am having a hard time seeing your diagram, could you post it to a hosting site, like photobucket, so we can do some zooming in.

Old 07-24-12, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I am having a hard time seeing your diagram
This may help.

Name:  Wiring Diagram Test.jpg
Views: 7252
Size:  21.4 KB

Old 07-25-12, 01:45 AM
I can't quite tell what the relay label says so I might not be fully understanding the circuit. However, I believe the relay is meant to latch until the load (LED) is disconnected. If so, then the momentary switches need to be Normally Closed. As drawn, the LED would never light unless the relay was active and the momentary switch was depressed.

As for lighted switches, many of them draw a small amount of power from the switched circuit and don't require a separate connection to the battery. The light simply acts as a series load between the high and low side of the switch. However, in a low voltage DC circuit meant to drive LEDs, you probably can't tolerate much voltage drop so you should check the tech specs on whatever lighted switches you are considering. You may simply need to supply a battery negative connection to the switch.

If you can post a clearer image, I'd be happy to take a closer look.

Old 07-25-12, 05:30 AM
If you're using "raw" LEDs you'll need to put a current-limiting resistor in series on each of them. The resistor would be placed between the relay and the LED. The diagram shows one of the three circuits you'll need for the LEDs. Additional circuits are identical and would be wired in parallel to the battery.

Calculate the resistor values here.

Old 07-25-12, 06:35 AM
here is hosting site pic

[IMG]http://i47.************/2uibw9t.jpg[/IMG]

Ok normally closed momentary switches. the relays in the middle are SPDT where the normally closed circuit lights the switches and when activated lights the leds. Thanks everyone for your assistance I hope this photo uploads... i've had some issues trying to use a hosting site on this forum.

Old 07-25-12, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Tinypic can not be used for hosting. Lets see if this works. (http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html)

Name:  2uibw9t.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  21.7 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 07-25-12 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-25-12, 08:38 AM
Rick's circuit is correct if you want the following behavior.
1. All lights and switches off
2. Flip one of the SPST lighted switches.
3. Switch lights and LED lights.
4. LED will turn off as long as the momentary switch is pressed. Once the switch is released, the LED will turn back on unless you turn it off at the lighted switch.

My understanding was that at Step 4, you wanted the LED to go off and stay off until you triggered it on again at the lighted switch. If so, you need a different circuit with latching relays (or SS equivalents) and momentary switches for the lighted switches.

Can you clarify what behavior you need from the circuit?