Ceiling fan wiring

Old 01-22-01, 11:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a new ceiling fan that i installed that I have 2 wall switches for, 1 to control the light, and 1 to control the fan.My problem is that i have 3 wires coming out of the ceiling( Red, black, and white) but my ceiling fan only has 2 wires ( white, and black ) with the green ground wire. I connected the white to the white and the red and black from the ceiling to the black from the fan, and now both switches on my wall control the light and fan rather then one of each. Is there a way i can connect it so that one wall switch controls the fan and one wall switch controls the light?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-01, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You either need to get a different light/fan unit, or open up the unit you bought and look for a wire which is nutted to one of the black or white wires. There should be another wire. Wasn't there a sheet enclosed with this unit? These things are almost always able to be hooked up to a single switch (fan/light on and off at the same time), or separate switches.

[Edited by abNORMal on 01-22-01 at 03:17]

Old 01-22-01, 12:10 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
YOu should be able to remove you light from the fan. Fish a red wire from that light junction box on the fan through the nipple entering the fan. YOu most likely will have to open up you have cover sheild around the fan motor. Fish the wire straight through the motor housing and then through the top nipple going to the ceiling box. The connect the light fixture to the white already present and wire nut off the black that the fixture was origanally connected and then connect the red to the black of hte light fixture. Now at the ceiling connect the red wire you fished up to the ceiling through the fan to the red wire in you house wires.

Good luck

Wg