2-pole GFI Breaker Question

Old 08-20-12, 06:30 PM
i could have the old 10/3 thats in the conduit now that will be coming out, and just re-rout it to an outside box, and connect it there.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "connect it there". It may be ok as long as you don't try to power your home through the subpanel.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-12, 12:25 AM
outlet for generator.

Also, how come you cant backfeed through sub, because of the grounds and nuetrals being separate?

Old 08-21-12, 12:35 AM
Also was reading on another post somewhere, about removing the neutral/ground bond at the generator if your going to back feed. Also, my sub-panel has the "input" on the bottom, will that be a problem? Or just run the wires to the top to connect to the "main" breaker that way. Also, thanks for all the help people

Old 08-21-12, 06:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You cannot backfeed into a subpanel because there would be no way to ensure an interlock with the main to prevent power going back to the pole.

Old 08-21-12, 01:12 PM
what if the "main" has an interlock?

Old 08-21-12, 01:50 PM
You can not back feed because of the potential of voltage going into the power co lines. Line man have been killed from people hooking up generators improperly.
You Must us an interlock that id NEC approved. There is no way power can back feed the power lines when it is used.

Old 08-21-12, 05:35 PM
what if the "main" has an interlock?
Think about that. Now....... how would you interlock the emergency power input breaker at the subpanel with the main breaker at the main service panel in the house? There probably is a way using a "Kirk Key" system, but you don't have enough money for an engineered system like that.

Old 08-22-12, 01:13 PM
[HR][/HR][HR][/HR][HR][/HR]im going to make a diagram on paper after work tonight because im no pro..lol But, ill probably do it the other way.

Old 08-22-12, 01:22 PM
That might work, depending on how it was wired. My first choice, especially in this case, would be a transfer switch.

Why are you not runnibg the generator backfeed to your main panel?

Old 08-22-12, 01:28 PM
its just so far away from the main panel. If the sub-panel is "on" all the time anyway, it should just act as a "gen-connect" plug. Then , the interlock and 60amp breaker will be engaged. Should be fine, but im sure the code says its a boo-boo. Again, im not an electrition..

Old 08-22-12, 02:01 PM
If the sub-panel is "on" all the time anyway, it should just act as a "gen-connect" plug.
Iff there are no loads connected there and it is acting as a splice box, then yes.

Are there no loads connected there? Why does this subpanel existr?

I think you'll have to have the wires in your main panel connected in a specific location in order for them to function as the generator backfeed conductors with the interlock.

Old 08-23-12, 12:19 AM
i think im just going to run the 10/3g to the 'main', from the gen connect plug. Put it in conduit, i think about 13" or so, ill have to check the code, etc, and put the gen connect box next to the subpanel like in the picture. But, even if not code, will it work if backfeed through the sub panel?

Old 08-23-12, 12:22 AM
if i shut the gfci breakers in the garage, and just use the sub as a switch, i think it will be fine to back feed it. ?

Old 09-26-12, 12:53 PM
Ok, next week im going to do some digging. This sound ok? Im going to get 6/3g and run it to a junction box, where it will have the conduit started. SPLICE that wire with THWN (6/3 with green ground, 4-wires), run the THWN in conduit underground about 12"(?) directly to the subpanel to the (100amp) disconect swith on subpanel. I think this should be ok.