acceptable fix

Old 07-30-12, 08:24 AM
acceptable fix

Our project has morphed. Orginally, this bx would have laid in the soffit. With the new patio cover, that has changed. We'd like to finish the patio but need to move the service. What would be the best fix?

We've tried to get the electrician out that did the white wiring you'll see in the pics, but he's either in jail, honeymooning, or won the lottery.

Running out of free time.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-12, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it possible to re-run the cable going over the framing? If not how about notching the studs and installing nail plates to protect the cable?

Old 07-30-12, 07:01 PM
We've tried to get the electrician out that did the white wiring you'll see in the pics, but he's either in jail, honeymooning, or won the lottery.
From what I see of the white wiring, I don't think I'd want that guy back. Calling him an electrician is using the term loosely.

Old 07-30-12, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Cut the cable in half, run the cable up into the attic. Add two J boxes (steel) to the two ends and run a cable or conduit between the two J boxes. Resplice old wire with new wires.

Old 07-31-12, 06:10 AM
Yea CasualJoe, it would have been done neater, especially since there was full, easy, access.

I think I'll splice it Tolyn. I know the power is basically spliced everywhere (from outlet to outlet), but I wanted another opinion to be sure.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-31-12, 09:13 AM
To add to Tolyn's suggestion: When you add the two new boxes and the length of cable, be sure each box is bonded to ground. Metal conduit (EMT, Greenfield or Type MC) may accomplish that, or you can add a pigtail to the ground splice and crimp that around a ground screw screwed into a threaded hole in the box.