Need help fixing outlets in 2 rooms

Old 07-30-12, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help fixing outlets in 2 rooms

Hello all,

I need help figuring out why a friends outlets aren't working short of trying to replace them all.

About two months ago she tried putting in an AC unit in her bedroom, according to her it worked for maybe 10 minutes then it went out taking out all the outlets in her room and the adjacent room with it.

The first thing I thought of was she tripped a circuit but alas none were tripped not were any gfci's. But also another room and a bathroom across the hall run on the same breaker and they both have power.

I then thought maybe she just burned up that outlet so I replaced it this afternoon with out any luck.

So now I am stuck scratching my head out of ideas. Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-12, 12:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! When you replaced the receptacle, did you note whether or not it used the original stab backs to secure the wires? If so, all the receptacles will encounter the same problem. Most likely you have a receptacle ahead of this one that has a loose wire (probably a neutral). I would remove the power at the breaker, pull all the receptacles in that circuit, remove the wires from the stab backs and replace them under the screw heads. One of the receptacles ahead of this one is probably either bad or will show signs of a loose wire. Let us know what you find out.

Old 07-31-12, 01:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you test for voltage on the wires connecting the outlet you replaced? The line from the breaker going to the different outlets must be tested to find where the line stops having voltage readings.

Old 07-31-12, 07:36 AM
Chandler, I did not look at any of the other ones due to time, but the receptacle I had replaced had the wires underneath the screw heads. I didn't think to check the other ones for loose wiring since I figured this receptacle had to be the first one since when it went out all Tue others did as well

spinister, I did check for voltage on the wiring after I replaced it and got nothing

Old 07-31-12, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As we are fond of saying here the problem may be in the last working receptacle or first non-working receptacle.

When you do fix this remember best practice is a high draw appliances such as an AC should be on a dedicated circuit. Maybe you can help her run a new circuit for the AC.

Have you read http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rminology.html yet?

Old 07-31-12, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
Typically, if some of the receptacles and fixtures on a circuit work and some don't, the problem is at the last good one or the first bad one on the circuit.

Old 07-31-12, 03:01 PM
Thank you for the replies, I'm not exactly sure how to check which one is the last good one and which is the first bad one.

Also its an older house with a ceiling fan in the room which is still live so maybe the issue is up in the box?

Old 07-31-12, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not exactly sure how to check which one is the last good one and which is the first bad one.
Originally Posted by ray2047
Also its an older house with a ceiling fan in the room which is still live so maybe the issue is up in the [ceiling] box?
It could be, but lights and power, even when on the same circuit, are often split early. Do you know whether the ceiling outlet and this receptacle are on the same circuit?

Old 07-31-12, 04:10 PM
Apologies, yes I did read the sticky before even making this post, I'll test out the other receptacles next time I'm over there.

Yes both the ceiling outlet and the receptacle are both on the same circuit