Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can you run 1 bedroom (6 outlets, 1 fan, 1 light) all on same 15amp circuit?

Old 08-04-12, 12:36 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I always run a separate circuit for each room, and almost always do bedrooms with 14 gauge on a 15 amp circuit.

My question is this: I heard recently that if I'm running both the outlets and the switch to a fan/light on the same wire I have to use 12 gauge to meet code in Utah...can anyone verify this?

With energy star bulbs and fan, even if you're running a vac at the same time this doesn't seem necessary according to my math, but I want to make sure I don't fail any inspections.

Old 08-04-12, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You CAN, but it normally isn't done. Usually lighting is separated from receptacle loads. Run 12 gauge wires to your receptacles, and protect them with a 20 amp breaker, and the lighting can run off 14 gauge and a 15 amp breaker. As always, check with your local authority, since you have a question about locality which we can't answer.

Old 08-05-12, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
As far as the NEC is concerned, there is nothing requiring running #12 in bedrooms in any way, the circuit only needs to be sized to handle the load to be served. As Chandler mentioned, your local code may require this, but I have never heard of this anyplace in the US.

They do likely (depending on your code cycle) need to be protected by AFCI breakers, have tamper resistant receptacles, and a 3 wire cable (black, red, white, ground) from the switch box to the fan box.

IMO - I would rather run two 15 amp circuits then one 20 amp circuit. In your case, one circuit is likely enough, but I also like to split the lights and receptacles so you will not be left in the dark if the circuit goes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: