I want to change my thermostat but . . . . .

Old 08-04-12, 06:15 PM
Exclamation I want to change my thermostat but . . . . .

I have radiant ceiling heat. The thermostat has two black wires (load) and two red wires (line). It is an old RA=STAT model.

The easy question first...What type of PROGRAMMABLE thermostat could I replace this with?

The hard question. I can turn OFF the breakers in the electric panel but I still get an electrical voltage at the thermostat. (I just had a new electric panel and all new breakers installed and it appears to be doing the same thing the old Federal Pacific did - which is to HEAT the room - even with the breakers OFF!)

This can NOT be right can it???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-12, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
What is your reading between the two hots and each hot and ground? If you are using a digital meter the reading may be induced voltage or bad batteries. Try an analog multimeter instead.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-05-12 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 08:06 PM
I have radiant ceiling heat. The thermostat has two black wires (load) and two red wires (line).
Assuming the power for your radiant ceiling heat is a 240V circuit, unless the wires are pulled in conduit, the line pair should be one black and one red, and the load side should be the other black and red. Doing the test Ray suggested, with all of the wires disconnected and separated, will determine this.

Old 08-05-12, 08:12 PM
Old 08-10-12, 07:33 PM
Voltage reads around 240v with ALL ceiling heat breakers OFF!

Old 08-10-12, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Voltage reads around 240v with ALL ceiling heat breakers OFF!
Have you tried turning off all 2 pole breakers in the panel? Is there a subpanel?

Old 08-11-12, 05:37 AM
I'd also try turning off the main circuit breaker and see if you still have power to the thermostats. If so, you better go back and start at the meter and trace the service entrance wiring to see where it goes because there must be another panel somewhere.