One Generator and Two Family House...

Old 08-04-12, 10:57 PM
One Generator and Two Family House...

Is it possible for ONE Generator to power BOTH floors? TWO different panels (2-family house). Probably have to be done ouside somehow. Someone asked me if possible, but im stuck on this one.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-12, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
Two separate transfer switches to one inlet but you are going to probably need a large generator unless the families are very friendly.

Old 08-05-12, 07:33 AM
In addition to what ray has alread said, if this is a rental I wouldn't think of supplying both units unless the generator is sized for full load of both units. Renters typically are not concerned with the landlord's equipment and will run it to the max with no regard for the load on the generator.

Old 08-07-12, 09:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ditto. I'd install the transfer/inlet panel for them, but theyd be on their own as far as a generator to plug into it - unless they were family or VERY good friends.

Basically what I would do if I were so inclined is run a 50A power inlet to a small outdoor subpanel, which would have two 30A double pole breakers, each feeding a small transfer panel. The transfer panels would have the bare minimum circuits.. Lights, refrigerator outlet, and one or two other outlets. That's it. But keep in mind this will require a 12kW generator minimum. Otherwise just put a 30A inlet for each transfer panel and say "Here you go, you have a generator inlet, if you want to buy a generator to use with it, so be it."

Old 08-08-12, 01:38 PM
2-family house. Family members on both floors, etc. Maybe a backfeed from my dryer outlet to 1st floor dryer outlet. Or a 30amp DP on my panel to their panel, with interlock kits, etc.

ideas, ideas,

Old 08-08-12, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
NO! You are NOT allowed to have any interconnect between the panels on separate services. And you ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT monkey with the dryer outlets. I told you how to do it.

Old 08-12-12, 05:52 PM
easy there turbo.. My garage will be on just 2nd floor power, i wont put any 1st floor power in there, because you can only have one circuit i guess, unless the code allows for one circuit for each floor. So if i use my gen, ill just backfeed with my interlock kit. If they want power, they will have to get thier own stuff.