Help wiring 4-way Leviton Vizia switches.

Old 08-08-12, 10:52 AM
Help wiring 4-way Leviton Vizia switches.

I'm replacing the three switches (4-way) in my kitchen that control my main lighting. The current switches are simple on/off toggle switches. The switches I'm replacing them with are Leviton Vizia dimmers w/ LED's indicators on each switch. It's my understanding that I need one DIGITAL PUSH ON/OFF DIMMER VZI06-1LZ and two MATCHING DIMMER REMOTES VZ00R-1LX.

The diagram below is how my current switches are wired. Please provide some help on how to connect my existing wires to the Vizia switches. It appears that I already have too many wires to connect to these switches in addition to them seemingly needing a neutral connection at each switch.

Full size image link:
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...afx4/vizia.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-12, 09:22 AM
Bump, anyone?

Also, my title should have read 4-way... not 3-way. I don't see an edit option to fix that.

Old 08-28-12, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Normal legend for a 3- way switch is: "T" for each of the two travelers and "C" for the common. Instead your diagram uses a "B" for black which I assume means common which is a black screw but then gets weird color wise. because you show "S" for silver. A switch does not normally have a silver screw unless it is a lighted switch. Note also "G" normally means green - the ground - not gold. Can you relabel your diagram using correct designations (For simplicity do not include ground wires.)

I'm replacing the three switches (4-way) in my kitchen that control my main lighting. The current switches are simple on/off toggle switches.
This sentence is contradictory and doesn't match your diagram. "Simple on/off switches would not be used with a 4-way. You would use a 4-way with two 3-ways. A modern 3-way would have two brass screws, one black screw, and one green ground screw.

Old 08-28-12, 11:15 AM
The answers to your questions are simple, if the new dimmers require a neutral at each location, and you do not have a neutral at each location, then you cannot use that particular brand/style dimmer.

If you DO have a neutral at each location then simply follow the instructions included with your dimmers. You WILL need to determine which location has the "hot" wire and where the "load" (lamp) wire is but this is not difficult if you have any experience with electricity.

Old 08-28-12, 12:25 PM
Please provide some help on how to connect my existing wires to the Vizia switches. It appears that I already have too many wires to connect to these switches in addition to them seemingly needing a neutral connection at each switch.
I would follow the instructions provided by Leviton: Single Pole (One location) or 3-Way (Multi-location) Incandescent Dimmer Cat. No. VZIŲ6-1L INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. If you don't have those, just click on the link for Instruction Sheet on this page: VZI06-1LZ.

In skimming the installation instructions, I think I'm seeing that the illustrations show a grounded conductor (a neutral) in the switch boxes, but do not show it as being connected to the switch. That is, they appear to be showing it as spliced through to the load, which is standard procedure. It does not appear that the neutral is required for the switch to operate.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-28-12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-28-12, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the link, Nash. These appear to be similar to every other electronic dimmer with remotes that I have installed. You DO need the neutral wire for the remotes using the LED indicators. It MAY be that this neutral is only for the LEDs and the dimmer function will work without the neutral.

You will need to "re-purpose" some of the conductors in the three-conductor cables between the various locations, this is normal with these dimmers. The first step is to determine the cable run among the various locations and which location has the power and which location has the load (lamp) connection. Once this is done, and it appears that have, you can then draw up a diagram using the Leviton instructions and your own "as built" diagram as guides. Any additional remote units are wired in parallel with the first remote unit.