Re purpose an electrical run

Old 08-09-12, 12:42 PM
Re purpose an electrical run

I have a room which currently lacks an outlet on one wall...it's about 10 feet from a junction i have in an adjoining hallway. Now, within this hallway is a single run from the aforementioned juntion that is sent to 2 wall sconces, and finally to a switch that operates the lights.

What i want to do is change this run to power an outlet on the wall (that's missing) as well as re-route it to a ceiling/can light operated by a switch in the same location as it is now for the wall sconces.

The final goal is replacing the sconces with the ceiling light, and getting an always-on outlet in the room.

Currently:
Junction ------- Lamp1 ----- Lamp2 ----- Switch

Plan:
Junction ------ CeilingLight----- Outlet
......................... |
......................... | (Switch loop)
......................... |
..................... Switch

Can I do this the way I think I can?

Thanks,
-R

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-12, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
about 10 feet from a junction
By junction do you mean a junction box? If so is there a fixture of any kind in the junction box?

Old 08-10-12, 09:25 AM
the junction box is just that, only a box w/ a junction for 2 circuits. one does lighting and outlets in one room, the other simply runs to these sconces and the switch.

Old 08-10-12, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, the plan looks good. If your jurisdiction is already on NEC 2011 the switch loop should be 14-3/12-3 because you must run a neutral to the switch box even if you don't need a neutral. It would be connected at the light and capped at the switch.