Christmas (repairs) in August

Old 08-11-12, 09:41 PM
Christmas (repairs) in August

I am trying to replace the plug of an specialized extension cord that came with a ~10 year old “pre-lit” Christmas tree -- 15 ft cord with four 2-prong sockets along last 5 ft. The original plug had a slot to hold a 7 amp fuse. I cannot find a replacement cord with four sockets.

I never had any issues before last year. Last year it seem to blow the fuse and got hot enough so I cannot slide the slot open.

I just bought Leviton 010-101AN-00W Residential Angle Plug 15Amp - White- Ace hardware Store NY - from a local store.

I am seeking expert perspective if that will be successful (without 7 amp fuse) or another alternative/strategy.

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-12, 03:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! The fuse was blowing for a reason. Circumventing it would put you in danger and you will lose the UL certification on the string of lights. Is the string of lights overloaded? Is there a problem with certain bulbs that could cause the fuse to blow? You should find out why it was blowing the fuse, fix it, or replace the string of lights.

Old 08-12-12, 05:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Larry, the fuse was installed for a safety reason. To attempt to bypass it would not be wise IMO.

Old 08-12-12, 06:53 AM
Ohm it out without anything plugged into it to see if it has a short,don't just cut off the plug and eliminate the fuse.If the fuse blew out then there's a probem.Fuses don't just blow out from wear and tear like lightbulbs.

Old 08-12-12, 12:12 PM
Mod note: original advice archived because it did not safely address some aspects of the O/P's original problem such as over heating, blown fuse, and special type of plug containing a fuse.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-12-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 04:53 PM
Thank you for your advice. I will wait until December to see if I can find similar cords that I have not been able to find recently (even online). I called the tree manufacturer company and they said they stopped selling that type of tree/cord many years ago. :/

Old 08-12-12, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
I strongly advise not replacing the cord unless you find why the old cord was overheating and blowing fuses and not unless you can find a similar fused cord to replace it with.

Old 08-12-12, 06:33 PM
If the plug itself was overheating then there was probably a loose connection, either wheret he wire attaches to a prong or the plug was loose in the receptacle or a fuse inside was loose in its brackets.

Old 08-14-12, 09:36 AM
Thanks Allan. That MIGHT have been the problem. -- an imperfect connection at the wall/receptacle /plug

I will be careful and keep on looking for a replacement cord (with 4 plugs that run up the 'trunk' of our artificial tree (~3 rows of daisy-chained branches per plug) or maybe I will find a replacement plug with a built in fuse slot.

Old 08-14-12, 08:19 PM
If you find a fused one, let me know. I've been looking for them for years.

Old 08-14-12, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
If you find a fused one, let me know. I've been looking for them for years.
Well most plugs in GB are fused because older houses have ring circuits but they won't fit our receptacles.

Hey, I'm channeling Marc.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-15-12 at 02:47 PM.