Outside Load Center wiring help needed!

Old 08-12-12, 09:29 PM
Outside Load Center wiring help needed!

I have a Homeline Load Center HOM2-4L70 RB. I have this mounted outside on the same electric pole as my meter which connects to my 200amp box below meter. (Which is not bonded to new box.) This is for my pool that requires a 20amp 110 breaker.
Best I can tell just wire the new box from my 200 amp for 220. The new load center box and neutral bar is not bonded and if right I think I need to bond it with screw. If this is correct then what I'm puzzle is when I wire in my outlet I will just use one phase just one breaker instead of a double for 220. I put the black on the single breaker then put the bare grd on the netural bar (just one bar in box) then since it not 220 the white wire would go with the bare wire on the netural bar??
Thanks Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-12, 10:13 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I have a Homeline Load Center HOM2-4L70 RB. I have this mounted outside on the same electric pole as my meter which connects to my 200amp box below meter. (Which is not bonded to new box.) This is for my pool that requires a 20amp 110 breaker.
Do you mean a 20A 120V circuit?

Best I can tell just wire the new box from my 200 amp for 220.
Yes, except that it's 240V, not 220V.

The new load center box and neutral bar is not bonded and if right I think I need to bond it with screw.
No. Your new load center is a subpanel. A subpanel must be fed with four wires: two hots, one neutral and one ground. In the subpanel, the neutrals must be kept isolated from the enclosure and the grounds must be bonded to the enclosure.

If this is correct then what I'm puzzle is when I wire in my outlet I will just use one phase just one breaker instead of a double for 220.
Your service is single-phase 240V. It is fed in on two split-phase legs. 120V power is available by connecting to one of the split-phase legs and to neutral.

I put the black on the single breaker then put the bare grd on the netural bar (just one bar in box) then since it not 220 the white wire would go with the bare wire on the netural bar??
Yes and no. You connect the black wire to the breaker. You connect the white wire to the isolated neutral bus. You connect the bare EGC wire to the bonded ground bus.

Since you have only one bus bar in your load center, you need to ensure that it is isolated, and add a second, bonded, bus for the grounds.

If your load center is connected directly to the main panel by conduit, you will not need to add a separate earth ground for the new panel.

--------

This seems like a heckuva lot of work to add one little old 20A circuit. Is there some reason you can't just add a breaker into your existing panel to service this new load?

Old 08-13-12, 05:38 AM
Alot of work yes. The panel outside only has the 200a main that feeds the house it's don't contain any spaces for breakers. Another note I check the 200a box and the grd and netural bus is both bonded to the main box that why I thought I didn't need another bus for ground in the new box.
Thanks

Old 08-13-12, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
I check the 200a box and the grd and netural bus is both bonded
That is correct but only for the first panel or as the pros say panel containing the first over current protection device (OCPD). All subsequent panels have a separate bonded ground and isolated neutral.

Old 08-13-12, 01:55 PM
I sure hope that you used an outdoor rated (NEMA 3R) panel and not a standard indoor (NEMA 1) panel. I also strongly suggest that you purchase the book Wiring Simplified and read it cover-to-cover BEFORE attempting any more electrical work. Wiring Simplified is available at most homecenters in the electrical aisle.

Old 08-13-12, 05:39 PM
Thanks, that where I was in doubt..

Old 08-13-12, 05:44 PM
All panels are outdoor. The 200 amp is because of a mobile is require to have one outside on the pole which was put in several years back and the new box is a Squre D outside 70a panel. I have done lots of my own wiring for my house through the years for my add on's. Just was puzzle on not having a ground bus in the new box and on the bonding. Thanks again for the help, I will get a ground bus and finish the wiring.

Old 08-13-12, 07:14 PM
The panel outside only has the 200a main that feeds the house it's don't contain any spaces for breakers.
It sounds as if all you have at the pole, besides the meter, is a 200 amp breaker disconnect that feeds a trailer. Without a better picture of what you actually have at the pole, it doesn't sound as if you can feed your new 70 amp panel from this point.

it's don't contain any spaces for breakers
You need a point where you can install a 2 pole breaker, up to 70 amps, to feed this new panel.