Lighting circuit

Old 01-23-01, 08:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi,
I just wired a new light circuit in my kitchen. 2 lights on 2 switches from the same power line (same circuit). In the first box I have a power feeder line, a line going to the fixture, and a line going to the next switch box.
I wired these as follows: All the grounds together (3 plus one pigtail to the switch), all the whites together (3), the black coming from the fixture to the switch, and the blacks from power line and the line going to the next switch box together with a pigtail going to the switch. These are on 12/2 WG wire on a 15amp breaker. The reason I used 12g wire is because the lines went overhead through some insulation. ( an electrician said 14 would be ok (not get to warm), but if I had 12 to go ahead and use it.)
Problem is, the light at the end of the run works ok, but when I switch the first one on the breaker goes off. Where could my problem be? Did I wire it wrong?
Thanks for your time,
RG
also do I need a dedicated circuit for the Refrigerator, or can I put it on the same 20amp circuit as the gas stove and vent/light?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 09:06 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://www.homedoctor.net/tipsfaq/2.3.html
http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/3wayswitch.html
http://www.howstuffworks.com/three-way1.htm

These 3 sites should give you enough information on light/3-way switch circuits to understand how it is done.

If you need further info then repost.

Old 01-23-01, 09:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. These lights are not 3-way. 2 separate swithes for 2 separate lights working independently. They only share the same power source or circuit.
Thanks,
RG

Old 01-23-01, 10:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I can understand from what you said is the circuit power (from electrical panel) is first entering one switch box, know I will explain from that point...I will call this in my explaination CIRCUIT LINE, and the switch in this box as the 1st switch. The light that this switch controls is the 1st light. The other switch is the 2nd switch and the light it controls -the 2nd light And the circuit line is going into the 1st switch box .

The Black wire from the circuit line , goes to to the black wire leading to the 2nd switch box and also goes to one connection screw of the 1st switch. the white wire from the circuit line goes to the white wire going to the 2nd switch box and the white wire going to the 1st light. The black wire going to the 1st light goes to the other connection screw of the 1st switch. All the bare wires connect together and on on the grounding screw of the 1st switch box.

At the 2nd switch...

The black wire from the 1st switch box goes to one connection screw of the 2nd switch. The white wire from the 1st switch box goes to the 2nd light. The black wire from the 2nd light going to the other connection screw of the 2nd switch. All bare ground wires connect together and the grounding screw in box.

I asssume you know the wires at the lights, black to black or brass colored screw, white to white or silver color screw, ground (bare wire) to outlet box, and green wire if your lighting fixture has one.