leaking exhaust fan/light

Old 01-23-01, 10:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Our home is approximately 7 months old. For the past few weeks the exhaust fan/light in our master bathroom has been leaking a brownish colored liquid. The leak is not constant, maybe once or twice a week. Does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

This is most likely caused by condensation of warm, moist air hitting the cold vent line of the exhaust in your attic, and the brown color is probably caused by dust, etc.
A solution would be to wrap insulation around the vent pipe in the attic.
Good Luck!

Old 01-23-01, 05:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another possible explanation is that this is leaking down from condensation (i.e., dew) on the roof. Are your shingles about the color of the water? Check the flashing on the roof to make sure it's in good shape.

Old 01-24-01, 04:26 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I tend to lean on what old guy says. I have seen this many times over the years.

Correction suggestion! Hey I like them two words!

The reason for the condensation is that you steam from a shower etc. is sucked up through the fan as designed. However the vent hose is either too long or you have a dip in the hose that has filled up with water blocking the air oultet. Either situation can be cured by replacing the vent hose with metal tube installed without dips and as short as possible so that the warm steam does not have time to cool before it exits the end of the vent.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 01-24-01, 04:39 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The water's always brownish regardless of shingle color. If you live in a snowy climate there's another possible cause. Ice dam at the roof edges. This allows water to back up under shingles.

But I think Old Guy hit it, personally.

Juice.