Breaker keeps tripping

Old 01-23-01, 10:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

At Halloween, I replaced 2 overhead recessed lights with black lights. The lights worked fine until I turned them off to relplace the normal bulbs the next day. Now everytime I turn on the light switch, the breaker trips. Help! My house is only 5 years old. Can you help me?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 11:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jewels155
At Halloween, I replaced 2 overhead recessed lights with black lights. The lights worked fine until I turned them off to relplace the normal bulbs the next day. Now everytime I turn on the light switch, the breaker trips. Help! My house is only 5 years old. Can you help me?
Now it worked before you put the black lights in, it worked after you put the blacks lights in. Has anything been done on that circuit since the time you last had turned on the black light and the time you replaced them back to the regular light bulbs. If not...
try removing the light bulbs, does the breaker trip when you switch the switch on or off, if it doesn't , try another regular light bulb. Although I have never ever heard of a light bulb shorting , they generally just burn out. If the breaker still trips, look carefully inside the light sockets (without touching) to see if there is no bent contacts or metallic material stuck in there that could short.

I mean everything worked just before you took the black bulbs out and just after you replaced them , you have a problem . The circuit breaker trips when you turn on the switch and the only thing you touched was the bulb/light socket ? I suspect a problem with the bulb, something stuck in the socket or the socket if a bulb was forced in causing the socket to twist.

Old 01-23-01, 11:59 AM
Visiting Guest
I've tried new light bulbs and the breaker still trips. The breaker trips even when there are NOT any bulbs in the sockets and I turn the light switch to ON.
I will try looking at the sockets to see if anything looks amiss. There are 3 electrical outlets on this breaker that still work. Only the ceiling light fixtures seem to be affected. I promise, the only thing I did was replace the bulbs with black lights and then put the original bulbs back.

Old 01-23-01, 04:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check your light sockets to see if there is anything damaged or anything metallic in there that could short. It may be possible, that when the bulb was tightened it twisted the socket enough that the wires attached to it came in contact with each other or part of the socket is touching something, does the socket appear lose or solidly in place. Check only with the power off if you put your hand or pinchers in to check. Also look for bent contacts in the socket.

When you say that there are 3 electrical plugs on the same breaker that work. I assume you mean that they work fine when the breaker is not tripped , but are de=activated when the breaker trips ? Sorry, just checking that we are talking about the same circuit. Because if the plugs stay on after the breaker is tripped then they are not on the same circuit.

See the only thing that you say was touched was the light, and the only time the breaker trips is when the light switch is switched on, that is why I suspect the cause is located at the light fixture. Repost with your finding and we will take it from there.

Old 01-24-01, 08:06 AM
Visiting Guest
I did a visual inspection of the light fixtures and all "appears" to be normal. You're right about the electrical outlets. They DO NOT work when the light switch is turned on and when the breaker trips. I will check tonight with the power off and see if anything appears loose. The light fixtures are recessed cans. Would it help to take the can off so I can see if anything looks wrong.
I appreciate your help.

Old 01-24-01, 04:43 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I am with dkerr, I strongly suspect a twisted light socket. You may not be able to see the wires touching because they may be touching behind the socket.

Turn off you circuit and dismantle the inside of that resecced tank and remove the light sockets in all the tanks that are affected. Use a continuity tester and find the one that is shorted and replace it.

Good Luck

Wg

Old 01-25-01, 10:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks!! I will give that a try and let you know the results!