Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Replacing a 30A 240v receptacle and breaker with a 20A receptacle and breaker.

Old 08-17-12, 11:11 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am in no way a trained electrician, I am simply going off the research I have done and the basic knowledge given to me by my father growing up.

I am rebuilding part of our laundry room and would like to put in a 20A 240v outlet to run a few small appliances I have from my time in Europe. There is a 30A 240v receptacle on a dedicated breaker, but the previous tenants have painted over it, rendering it useless. It is a 3 wire, 240v outlet (shown in attached pictures). I need to replace it with a Nema 6-20R like this for my appliances.[ATTACH=CONFIG]2684[/ATTACH]

After reading on other forums, I've found out that you don't want to run a 20A outlet on a 30A line (somewhere I read said you could as long as your wattage was under 5k, but I'm not about to gamble with a fire) due to safety and fire codes, so now I need to replace both the outlet and the breaker, correct? Or do I need to replace the entire line, due to differences in wire sizes used in installation?

Attached Images     
Old 08-17-12, 11:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Not as simple as it seems, especially if they have motors. Pure resistance devices might work but the motors are 50 Hz and the US power supply is 60Hz. See: Motors: Changing between a 50 and 60Hz supply. - Electric motors, generators & controls engineering FAQ - Eng-Tips

And that is not even touching the issue of grounded conductor which is not present on a US 240v circuit but is on a European circuit.

Old 08-17-12, 11:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You said "previous tenants" - are you a tenant? If so, don't do anything, you need to talk to the landlord.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: