Light switches and receptacles not working

Old 08-19-12, 08:51 PM
Light switches and receptacles not working

Name:  Floorplan.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  28.2 KB

Hello. I've got two receptacles and two light switches that aren't working. They're all located inside the bedroom in the picture. The light switches are for the patio lights. There are 2 outlets across the room that do work. I've tested voltages of all the wires and made sure the screws are tightened. There are no backstabs. There are also no GFCI's.

So help me out guys, whats next?

Thanks!

PS. One thing that I thought was strange is that all the receptacles have 4 sets of wires (2 in 2 out) except for the one on the wall to the right, which only has 1 wire going in and 1 out...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-12, 09:10 PM
Group Moderator
4 sets of wires (2 in 2 out) except for the one on the wall to the right, which only has 1 wire going in and 1 out.
Do you mean cables? Do you mean all the boxes but one have 4 cables going into them for a total of eight wires not counting grounds in each box?

Old 08-19-12, 09:14 PM
No sir, I meant wires. All but one have 2 cables. The one just has 1 cable. Also forgot to mention that I reset the breakers

Old 08-19-12, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
One thing that I thought was strange is that all the receptacles have 4 sets of wires (2 in 2 out)
That is normal and to be expected about 90% of the time. Receptacles are daisy chained so usually only the last receptacle will have one cable.

The trouble could be in the last working receptacle before the first non-working receptacle.Have you opened and checked all the receptacles on the breaker not just the bad ones? Have you opened the lights and switches and removed and replaced all the wire nuts? Sometimes a wire nut connection can look good but isn't or the wire nuts are corroded inside.

Old 08-20-12, 09:04 AM
I've got two receptacles and two light switches that aren't working. They're all located inside the bedroom in the picture. The light switches are for the patio lights. There are 2 outlets across the room that do work... I reset the breakers
Do you know which breaker protects the circuit supplying the non-working receptacles and lights? Are the working receptacles on the other side of th room on the same circuit? If so, that is where I would check next.