generator hook up

Old 08-21-12, 12:52 PM
generator hook up

Hi
I have a generator (7250w/ 8250w) I would like to connect to pannel. I have a 30amp breaker for a dryer I don't have. Can I use the 10 gauge wire ( that was going to a dryer outlet) to connect to a Reliance Raintight Power Inlet Box-30 Amp.( I will turn off main breaker when using generator, and then put on the breaker.)
Thanks for your help
Paddy

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-12, 01:05 PM
Group Moderator
Your idea is illegal and very dangerous. You could easily kill someone unless you use a properly installed transfer switch or panel interlock* to prevent accidentally energizing power company lines.

Will you be using a four prong 120/240 volt receptacle (NEMA L14-30R or NEMA 14-30R) on the generator? What brand and model number is your breaker box?

*Interlocks may not be permitted in your jurisdiction.

Old 08-21-12, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
( I will turn off main breaker when using generator, and then put on the breaker.)
Thanks for your help

You cant do that. Thats not to code. You need to use a proper transfer switch or interlock.

The electricians will be on shortly to give advice.

( Ray you beat me by .1 millisecond)

Old 08-21-12, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Along with the interlock or transfer switch you would need to have a 4 wire dryer circuit.

Old 08-23-12, 06:48 AM
Your generator is capable of producing more amperage than the #10 wiring is able to safely handle, you would need #8 wire on that machine. Has this been done before? Yes, all over the country. Is it code? Nope. Does it work? Yep, as long as you don't enter the human factor into it of possible forgetting to turn off the main. When the main power comes back on kiss the generator goodby and see how many melted wires you have after you put the fire out. Check with your local electrical inspector to get his recommendation for a safe transfer switch hookup like Ray and Lawrosa suggested. Be safe friend, you are talking about a lot of amperage here.

Old 08-23-12, 07:08 AM
Can I use the 10 gauge wire ( that was going to a dryer outlet) to connect to a Reliance Raintight Power Inlet Box-30 Amp.
If the outlet you're connected to on the generator is limited to 30A, then yes. Only through an interlock or transfer switch, of course.