Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

electrical outlet now only works when I turn ceiling fan on

Old 08-22-12, 05:39 AM

Prior to ceiling fan, I had only a light in the ceiling and plug outlet worked. Since I changed light to a ceiling fan, the plug outlet will only work when I turn the fan side of the switch on. There is also another switch that controls the light on the fan. I am using a single pole Lutron fan 3 speed fan control and dimmer (S2-LFSQH-WH-CSA) and coming from the ceiling to light switch box are black, white and red. My guess is that the plug outlet was wired into the ceiling light?
Is there a way I can use the plug without having to turn the fan power on?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-12, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like the receptacle that now comes on only when the fan motor control is switched on may have been controlled by a switch before.

Is there a way I can use the plug without having to turn the fan power on?
If you describe the cables and wires in your switch box and the receptacle box, and how they're connected, we should be able to advise you in changing the receptacle to be always hot. Pictures of what you have will also help us understand what you're looking at. See How To Put Pictures In Your Post.