Crawl space code requirements

Old 08-22-12, 07:49 PM
Crawl space code requirements

Could someone fill me in on the NEC code for crawl spaces? I have a 4' crawl space with a poured floor. The only lighting down there now, is a 100W bulb just inside the entrance. When ever I'm down there, I drag around a halogen flood light, and that has gotten old. I was thinking of some receptacles, and plug in florescent shop lighting.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-12, 08:09 PM
The only NEC requirements that I am aware of would be that any circuits in a crawl space must have GFCI protection.

Old 08-22-12, 08:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wiring method would need to match the environment also. Is the area dry or damp?

Old 08-22-12, 08:22 PM
The wiring method would need to match the environment also. Is the area dry or damp?
Damp..........................................

Old 08-27-12, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I thought that bare incandescent bulbs were no longer considered allowable, so that limits the options.

IMO, I'd get some cheap incandescent fixtures to install permanently. Unless you're planning on spending a lot of time down there, I personally don't think the cost of the florescent fixtures are worthwhile... and you don't want to worry about breaking a bulb while down there. But it's a fine idea if you want.

Old 08-27-12, 05:35 PM
IMO, I'd get some cheap incandescent fixtures to install permanently. Unless you're planning on spending a lot of time down there, I personally don't think the cost of the florescent fixtures are worthwhile... and you don't want to worry about breaking a bulb while down there. But it's a fine idea if you want.
If there is a chance future work must be performed in a crawl space, I think it would be an excellent idea to install lights. I am thinking of working on plumbing or if there is an airhandler and duct work in the crawl space that would need maintenance.

Old 08-27-12, 07:19 PM
Maintenance is the main reason. Eventually I will have to redo the insulation, do to past moisture issues that caused some of the batt insulation to fall away from between the floor joists. Can I use the blue PVC boxes with the regular wall plates, and NM-B for my receptacles? Or, will I need UF-B with moisture resistant boxes?

Old 08-27-12, 08:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is a question best answered by your inspector.