House hold outlets

Old 08-23-12, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House hold outlets

Soo long story short i have 11 ungrounded outlets that need to be grounded. Problem is there is only two wires entering the metal housing for the three plug outlets But to make this super simple i need to know whether i can do this fairly simply or if i need an electrician to do this for me.
Soon as i get to my computer i will upload photos to show you what i am dealing with. Guess the forum does not like iphones.

Attached Images    

Last edited by WarByrd; 08-23-12 at 03:34 AM. Reason: adding photos
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-12, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your duplicate post in small engines may be deleted*, so don't get offended, since there aren't too many electricians that frequent that forum. Anyway, what you have is a 2 wire system with probably no grounding at all. Unless you are well versed in methods and practices of running new wiring, it may be better to introduce an electrician to come in and rewire, at least the receptacles where you plan on having the computer equipment. Do you have a breaker panel, or fuse box?

*Post in Small Engines was deleted.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-23-12 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Add info on post deleation.
Old 08-23-12, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Many items in the house do not even have a 3 prong cap.

I would add new circuits where you need a grounded receptacle. Just about the same amount of labor and it takes loads off the older often inadequate circuits.

You could also add a GFI upstream and install regular duplexes downstream marked "No Equipment GRound".

Old 08-25-12, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
so if i drop the gfi in every room of the house (and i mean every room) what about the surge protectors? i mean doesn't that pretty much make surge protectors useless? as well as any other item requiring being ground out?

Old 08-25-12, 06:44 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
doesn't that pretty much make surge protectors useless? as well as any other item requiring being ground out
You could use a whole house surge protector.

Old 08-25-12, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
so if i drop the gfi in every room of the house (and i mean every room)
Not one in every room. Only one for each circuit that doesn't have an Equipment Grounding Conductor, at the first location from the panel. You could also install a GFCI breaker to protect an entire circuit, but the breakers should be upgraded to combination AFCI breakers instead.

what about the surge protectors? i mean doesn't that pretty much make surge protectors useless? as well as any other item requiring being ground out?
No. It provides equal or better protection. That's why it's specifically allowed in the NEC.