Weird Power Surge

Old 08-23-12, 05:22 AM
Weird Power Surge

Hey,

Is it possible for power surges to turn a bedroom light on for a split second too?
I've never heard of this ever happening before.I've only ever known of power surges that turn the lights off in a house but never on. The light switch was off as I was sleeping.When I woke up, a few seconds later the light in my room just turned on for a split second. It was an old house with roof leaks everywhere. Anyone know of this ever happening? What could it be?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-12, 07:30 AM
Welcome to the forums!

It is possible for induced voltage to cause a lamp to light up. This is particularly true of fluorescent lamps (bulbs). What type of lamp was it that lit up?

Old 08-23-12, 07:32 AM
If this happened during a rainstorm with a leaky roof, the water could have easily found it's way to the switch and temporarily arced across the water to send a brief surge to the light. Get the roof repaired ASAP, rainwater coming inside will cause serious damage to all kinds of things in the home. If it happened without rain, a lightning strike on the power line anywhere in your area could travel into the home wiring and cause any kind of weird phenomenon.

Old 08-23-12, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
If it is a touch lamp (one that you can turn on by touching it or a pad) they can turn on if they lose power for a short time.

Old 08-23-12, 06:06 PM
Is it possible for power surges to turn a bedroom light on for a split second too?
I have no idea what types of materials or wiring methods are used "Down Under", but I think it is entirely possible for an induced high voltage to jump the contacts in a light switch and momentraily light things up. That being said, if that happened, I think you would find some damage to your wiring after the fact. You might want to look into having some surge protection installed.

Old 08-23-12, 08:16 PM
Hey guys thanks for replying.

Just to answer a few of your questions...No it wasn't a touch lamp,it was the main bedroom light which was fitted with an energy saving globe like this...

Google Image Result for http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00ICNQozaHHnkL/Energy-Saving-Light.jpg

Sorry about the huge link haha.I honestly don't recall there being an electrical storm or rain that night, but the wiring throughout that house was terrible. I also forgot to mention that a smart meter was installed in the house eventually. I'm not too sure whether this surge happened before or after the installation though as it was quite a while ago. I'm not too sure whether you guys over in the US are aware of smart meters? There's a lot of conspiracy surrounding them and their effects on humans, such as sleep patterns and electro magnetic interferences. Maybe this had something to do with it also??Anyways, just throwing it out there!

Thanks again for all the replies!

Old 08-23-12, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
A CFL explains it all. You will get a similar effect with a timer switch that does not have a neutral or a lighted switch without a neutral. In both case the devices rely on a very small constant current through the bulb. No problem with incandescent bulbs but CFL bulb will flash intermittently from the very low current draw. It is easy to believe that a power surge would cause it flash for similar reasons. It wouldn't take much.

Old 08-24-12, 06:59 PM
I honestly don't recall there being an electrical storm or rain that night
If there had been a storm I could understand a normal assumption that an induced surge could have occurred, but with no storm, what on earth made you think you received a surge short of having had a recording meter connected to your home's electrical system? A surge to have caused what you have described would in fact be very very rare.

Old 07-23-13, 01:40 AM
what on earth made you think you received a surge

The fact that the light DID light up for a split second made me think that I got a surge.My memory sucks a little and therefore can't remember exact details, like whether it was raining or not.Also,I can't remember if there was a smart meter installed before the surge or after.All I know is that it was a power saving globe and the house had extremely bad wiring.We also had a lot of mice and possums around the house and in the roof.

Thanks for all the replies.

Old 07-23-13, 11:20 AM
I am not familiar with electrical wiring or systems in Australia, but rather than a surge I would guess possibly a faulty switch, faulty wiring or perhaps a switched neutral conductor that could have been bitten by a rodent allowing a split second short to ground that may have briefly flashed the light. One other possibility is a dream.

Old 07-23-13, 08:21 PM
I agree w earlier post..get roof repaired to prevent more major problems electrically.water and moisture always can cause more problems.tighten connections too .