Outside flood light, photocell, gfci

Old 08-23-12, 05:06 AM
Outside flood light, photocell, gfci

What is the correct way to wire these up? Should the flood light and photocell be direct wired ? And the gfci on a separate wire? Right now my friend has the gfci on bottom of post the hot wires is on (lineload) On the gfci (the load on the old gfci has no wires on them) one set wires from line load on gfci go to the photocell which (is mount right above gfci ) then to flood light . Everthing rusted out so I am putting new stuff in I don't know much but way it is now looks like a complete mess to me but maybe it right . You guys sure help me on the timer for my outside lights ... Thanks george

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-12, 06:52 AM
When you install the new GFCI, the wires from the panel need to be connected to the LINE pair of screw clamps. Because this is a wet (outdoor) location, the wires going to the photocell need to be connected to the LOAD pair of screw clamps. The two ground wires need to be spliced (twisted) together, with one or two pigtails added to go to the ground terminal on the GFCI and to the box, if it is metal.

In this wet location, the GFCI needs an in-use (bubble) cover, which should help prevent future corrosion. A bead of clear silicone caulk around the edge where the cover meets the box, leaving a small gap at the center of the bottom edge, will also help.

Mod note: Post moved to its own thread for clarity.

Old 08-23-12, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
The way you describe is just fine. GFCI--> photocell--> light.
I would put the wire from the GFCI to the photocell on the line side of the GFCI
I am assuming the power comes to the GFCI first. If this is not the case, let us know and we can get it figured out.

Old 08-23-12, 09:28 AM
If the photocell is connected to the load side of the gfci and the flood light comes on . Will the sudden increase of power trip the gfci? Thanks George

Old 08-23-12, 09:43 AM
The power does come to the GFCI first

Old 08-23-12, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
If the photocell is connected to the load side of the gfci and the flood light comes on . Will the sudden increase of power trip the gfci?
It shouldn't. It isn't "load" that trips a GFCI. It is an imbalance between the current carrying wires that indicates a leakage of current to another path.

Old 09-08-12, 02:00 PM
Has anyone used this item Garden post by Arlington ? And if so would it do the GFCI ,photo cell and the flood light?