repairing a flourescent light fixture

Old 01-23-01, 04:07 PM
Visiting Guest
I am trying to fix a single flourescent light. I have replaced the old light with a new one. I have replaced the ballast (a rapid start type P). Since it is rapid start, there is no starter to replace. I still cannot get it to come on by itself. The strange thing is that if I put my finger near the bulb in a certain position (near the right end of the bulb), the fixture will light. Actually, I don't even have to touch it. I can put my finger within a quarter-inch of the bulb and it will light. Do you have any suggestions as to the nature of my problem and how to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 08:43 PM
Visiting Guest
First if you replaced the ballast with the correct replacement(wich i,m sure you did) try replacing the lamp, if you have not already done so (importantly making sure it is the correct lamp)fluorescent lamps are coated with a special silicone like coating wich actually makes the ground with the metalic fixture, sometimes this coating is bad thus preventing the lamp from making a good ground. This is the reason that when you reach near the lamp it lights because you are making the ground for it.Also installing the wrong lamp wich can be slightly smaller in diameter will cause the same affect because the lamp is to far from the fixture. try these still having problems please repost for more solutions.....c beilman

Old 01-24-01, 04:31 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
c beilman is on the right track. Your fixture does not have an adequate equipment grounding source. Bare wire is not attached or is not making a path to back to the panel or to the ground source.

Your finger is acting as a replacement for the grounding source which incites the ignition of the gases inside the flourescent tubes.

Wg