adding 2 outdoor outlets

Old 08-24-12, 05:19 AM
adding 2 outdoor outlets

hi,

hoping someone can clarify for me...

Im instaling 2 new outdoor outlets, 1 to either side of my house. Ive already drilled through and installed fastened the new boxes and " 1/2" Coil CARFLEX Liquidtight Flexible Conduit " for my wires.

My question is:

Can I run 2 x 14/2 romex wires in this 1/2" conduit? Its a bit tight but does fit...

or

From the panel, should I just install a junction box and run 1 wire to one plug and another wire to the other plug? That way im only running 1 wire through each conduit... I am using "COOPER" boxes, 1 is GFCI. I would assume that both would need to be GFCI if I were to use a junction box with seperate wiring?

Im in London, Ontario, Canada if that make a difference,

Thanks for any info,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-12, 05:21 AM
Group Moderator
Don't put NM-B cable in conduit.

Old 08-24-12, 05:36 AM
so "romex" shouldnt be going outdoors at all then..?

I was advised to run it through this conduit to protect it while going though wood and brick...

thanks

Old 08-24-12, 06:04 AM
Group Moderator
Nope, it's not rated for outdoor use and also should not be used in conduit.

THWN would work in this situation but hold on for some of the experts in this area to more completely answer your question.

Old 08-24-12, 10:35 AM
If I'm understanding your questions correctly, then
  1. You can run Type NM through a wall, including a foundation, directly into a box mounted on the outside of the wall; you can sleeve it or not; and
  2. You can use one GFCI to protect both new receptacles if you run from the panel to the LOAD terminals on the GFCI and then from the LINE terminals on the GFCI to the other receptacle,or you can run power to each and install two GFCIs.

Old 08-24-12, 11:15 AM
yes, thanks

i would be running the wire from the panel, through a joist and through brick directly into the weather-proof outlet box.

There is no actual "outside" run of wires or conduit...just wasnt sure if this made a difference

Old 08-24-12, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were doing, Nash got you straightened out.

Old 08-24-12, 11:25 AM
Group Moderator
Can I run 2 x 14/2 romex wires in this 1/2" conduit? Its a bit tight but does fit...
I wouldn't try to put two cables in half inch conduit. Very tight fit. This is why THHN/THWN is a better choice.

"wires " I am assuming you mean Romex cable not wire. Romex wires with the cable sheath removed can not be used.

Old 08-24-12, 11:42 AM
thanks guys

ya i meant 1 romex wire which i have alot of.

And it is tight fit...thats why I figured itd be better to run a wire from the panel to a junction box, then from there run 1 wire to 1 GFCI and run another wire to the other GFCI.

Old 08-24-12, 12:53 PM
Group Moderator
ya i meant 1 romex wire which i have alot of.
Cable not wire. A wire is a single conductor. A cable is two or more wires in a sheath.

Old 08-24-12, 02:21 PM
And it is tight fit...thats why I figured itd be better to run a wire from the panel to a junction box, then from there run 1 wire to 1 GFCI and run another wire to the other GFCI.
Or you could set a 4x4 box just inside one of the locations, tie it to the outside box with conduit, and use that to transition to short pieces of THHN to go out and back. You can easily fit five conductors through the conduit, which is all you'd need. If that would save you anything.