GFCI (one appliance works but not another)

Old 08-25-12, 09:29 AM
GFCI (one appliance works but not another)

I'm having a strange gfci experience.
under my sink is an outlet with my disposal and instant hot water dispenser plugged into it (my breaker panel lists it as GFCI, but it's a regular breaker and I haven't found an upstream gfci outlet it may be tied to).

I replaced the instant hot water dispenser, because it was leaking, but my new dispenser wasn't heating, so I checked the outlet to make sure it was operating ok and yes the disposal works fine. However if I plug anything else into this outlet it does not get power.
2 prong or 3 prong nothing else gets power, but the disposal works fine.
So why does the disposal work ok (and my old hot water dispenser), but nothing else?
thanks for the help!
hustle

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-12, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Is one plug-in in the receptacle on a switch and the other not? If so are you sure the GD is plugged in to the switched receptacle plug-in and IHWD in the non-switched receptacle plug-in? Did you touch the wiring when you changed out the IHWD?

Old 08-25-12, 09:48 AM
I did nothing to the wiring, just unplugged my old hot water dispenser and plugged in the new one. The disposal works on both plugs on this receptacle, but nothing else works on either one...I'm stumped ?!?

Old 08-25-12, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Does the disposal work fine on the bottom receptacle but not on the top? (or vice versa) It might be a split wired receptacle, meaning each half of the duplex is on a different circuit.

Old 08-25-12, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
The disposal works on both plugs on this receptacle, but nothing else works on either one
Do you mean it can be switched on and off regardless of the receptacle plug-in it is plugged into? If so what kind of switch, electric (like a light switch) or pneumatic (has a plastic tube connected to it)?

Old 08-25-12, 10:29 AM
the disposal works on both receptacles for this outlet. If I plug any other appliance, extension cord etc, nothing....
what's even weirder is my voltage tester doesn't detect voltage on the receptacles. how is that possible?

Old 08-25-12, 11:16 AM
well I just figured it out and I feel pretty stupid.....
the outlet is tied to a switch that turns on and off the garbage disposal, thus the reason the receptacle is not hot unless it's turned on. doh
sorry for the lapse but it's been a long morning....I appreciate everyone's help

Old 08-25-12, 12:29 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know you figured it out.