What amp and watt rated charge controller do I need?

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-12, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool What amp and watt rated charge controller do I need?

Hello, I have purchased a Ametek 50V Motor to start building my first wind generator.I wanted to ask which Charge Controller should I use for this generator motor? I have a 12 volt deep cycle battery to use for this system. I don't really know what amp rating or watt rating I should use. I want to use the finished wind generator system to run my swimming pool pump motor and pool light. I know I'll need a Sine Wave Inverter 2000/4000 watts concidering the pump motor runs about 1050-1200 watts.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-12, 12:41 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
What are the characteristics of this motor you plan on using for a generator? The charge controller needs to be sized to slightly more capacity than the generator (or solar panels) feeding into the controller. I personally would size the controller to 125% of the output of the feeding generator.

I seriously doubt that you will be able to get enough power from your proposed set-up to run the pool pump and/or lights for any significant period of time. Wind power is even more temperamental than solar and usually takes a bigger generator than most people think. Are you planning on using a propeller blade or a vertical axis turbine to drive the generator? Do you have a tower mount and if so, how high? Remember that all the other components efficiency has to be multiplied to get the overall efficiency.

Old 08-26-12, 01:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Also, consider what you're going to spend on this setup.. Yes it will cost considerably less than buying a pre-built turbine, but like most 'green' energy systems, you will probably spend more building it than you will ever get out of it power-wise. In other words, it will probably never pay for itself in any reasonable amount of time..

Old 08-26-12, 01:37 PM
I have relatively inexpensive electrical rates, about 8.5 cents per kilowatt hour. I wanted to see if installing a tubular skylight in my kitchen made economic sense as it would allow me to not use the incandescent lighting (recessed and on dimmers) during the day. The answer was it would take about ten years to recover the cost of the skylight installation.

I also ran the numbers for a small solar installation, just enough to supply power to my fiber Internet connection and router, and the cost for parts alone would have been in excess of $600. That would be about 26 years to just break even.

Old 08-26-12, 01:57 PM
Jersey Matt A friend of mine built the wind turbine part for under $200.00 per power4patriots.com.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 08-26-12 at 02:09 PM. Reason: remove non-beneficial comment
Old 08-26-12, 02:08 PM
The motor is a direct replacement for the Ametek 50 volt. The pump motor is 115 volts and 12 amps,and the light is a single light bulb, a aqualuminator that lights the interior of the pool if I like. Amps X Volts =Watts 1380 Watts

Old 08-26-12, 02:11 PM
Yeah because Furd already did. But OK, you're spending $200 on the turbine.. But you're forgetting the several hundred that the inverter is going to cost. The thousand or so that a properly sized battery bank (since a single marine battery isn't going to run your 1400w pump for any meaningful length of time) is going to cost. Plus the charge controller and any switchgear. Its your money, do as you want, I'm just warning you that you will probably never break even when all is said and done.

Old 08-26-12, 02:19 PM
Try being a little less rude please. Thanks.

We are trying to tell you that it will not work as proposed. Clear enough?

Old 08-26-12, 02:21 PM
You STILL haven't given the characteristics of the motor you want to use as a generator. We need the nominal speed of the motor and the amperage draw to even come close to a guess as to what the output may be.

Taking your assessment of 1380 watts into consideration you would need to supply your inverter with 115 amperes at 12 volts to get enough power to run the pump and lamp AFTER the pump is started. The pump may "pull" as much as six times the running amperage to start and your inverter MUST be able to supply that surge or else the motor won't start. Even looking at only three times the running amperage would require an inverter rated in excess of 4,000 watts peak output. That peak power from a 12 volt input is in excess of 360 amperes. That's going to take a mighty hefty battery bank to power the inverter. Are you really prepared top spend several hundreds of dollars on just the battery?

Your generator will have to supply something in excess of 120 amperes at 12 volts to the system all times the pool pump is running or else the battery will run down. That's a pretty large wind generator for DIY.

Old 08-26-12, 02:22 PM
I have everything but the charge controller,If you can't answer my question, Then you don't no! Why waist your time. I can build one for under $200, not buy one for under $200. Your also lacking reading skills.

Old 08-26-12, 02:27 PM
And you, lack writing skills.

Do whatever you want, I'm through.

Old 08-26-12, 02:28 PM
I apologize! I was just looking for a simple answer to my questions, Thats all.There is other people answering more professional.This set up will work fine for camping up north.I am wanting to test it on my swimming pool outside.

Old 08-26-12, 02:30 PM
As I said, be a little less rude and condescending when asking for help. It'll get you farther in life.

Now you have a motor that puts out 50v at 1200RPM. At most it can put out about 300 watts, which is nowhere near enough to even power the motor, let alone charge the battery. So the only way this will work is if you have a huge bank of batteries and the turbine gets 18 hours of uninterrupted 50+mph wind.

Bottom line is IT WILL NOT WORK.

Old 08-26-12, 02:30 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
This post is closed. Doobie1968 you may PM a moderator if you wish about reopening it.

Old 08-26-12, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am locking this thread. doobie1068, if you honestly want some information and would like it reopened, you can send a Private Message to any moderator.

Ray beat me to it.

Closed Thread