Problem with low-voltage can lights

Old 08-26-12, 08:20 PM
Problem with low-voltage can lights

I have 3 times before successfully installed the same type of low-voltage can lights, but this time I am stuck, and baffled. (Exact model is Juno TC44R, if it matters.)

I have verified 120 volts to the first can....if you just hook up one can, the light is somewhat bright (although not fully) and voltage on the line drops to about 75v. If hook up a second can both lights dim further and line voltage drops further (below 50). It's almost like the transformer is putting out an out-of-phase voltage.

Any thoughts? The house is old, with a mix of K&T and romex. The circuit I am using seems to be at least mostly new, but I don't know for sure what is upstream, and whoever installed that circuit used white for the hot.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-12, 10:24 PM
And just to clarify: This fixture comes with a transformer & jbox; you run line voltage into the jbox and connect it to the leads on the primary side of the transformer. Wiring on the secondary side into the lamp socket comes factory-complete. Measured voltage is 120v coming into the jbox, but connect the leads and the voltage drops to ~ 75v. Which seems suspicious.....

Old 08-26-12, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Are you measuring with a digital multimeter?

Old 08-27-12, 05:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect you may have tapped into a switch loop or have something in series.

Old 08-27-12, 04:22 PM
Measured voltage is 120v coming into the jbox, but connect the leads and the voltage drops to ~ 75v.
I suspect you are using an existing circuit of questionable integrity. Check between the first can light and the electric service panel, how many junction boxes and splices do you find. Now, start opening the splices and look for a bad one. Is this existing circuit being fed from Knob & Tube wiring?

whoever installed that circuit used white for the hot.

connect the leads and the voltage drops to ~ 75v.
There are several possibilities to be checked and the thoughts from pcboss could also be the problem.

I suspect you may have tapped into a switch loop or have something in series.

Old 08-27-12, 07:57 PM
Well, the issue was definitely upstream. Tapped into a different circuit and now everything looks fine. Don't know if I tapped into some type of switch loop, or circuit that had a so-so connection on the neutral..but "questionable integrity" seems like a good way to describe it.

So I know what to do from here (find a better place to tap into).
Thanks, all.

Old 08-27-12, 08:17 PM
You're welcome, and thank you for telling us what you discovered.

So I know what to do from here (find a better place to tap into).
And, if I may suggest, either replace or repair the first circuit you tried.