2nd phone line

Old 01-23-01, 06:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

I just got a second line for my computer, well the phone company hooked it up outside, and they said i have to switch the wires inside the house at that particular jack myself or to have them do it an $85 fee, and i have to take time off work, i need to know which wires to change so the computer works on the new seperate phone line......

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 07:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go outside and open the box on the side of your house. A simple screwdriver is usually the right tool. You'll only be able to open one side of it, but that's okay. Inside you'll see two connection blocks, one for your line#1 and one for your line#2. The phone company usually labels them with the phone numbers, or you may be able to tell which is the newer looking one. Look at the colors of the wires connected to line#2.

Now go to the jack you want to wire for line#2. Disconnect the line#1 wires from the red and green posts, and connect these wires to the black and yellow posts instead. Find the line#2 wires by the same colors you saw outside. Strip a bit of insulation off the end of the wires, and connect them to the red and green posts where the line#1 wires used to be.

Plug a phone into the jack first and verify that you can get dial tone. If so, then just plug your modem into it and you're set.

This next step is entirely optional and you only need to do it if you also want to use this jack for your original phone line too. Go to Radio Shack or Home Depot and buy a two line adaptor that you plug into the jack. They make different kind of adaptors -- buy the one where the two jacks are labeled "L1" and "L2". With the instructions I gave you, the modem would be "L1" and the phone would be "L2". If you plan to do this from the start, then you can leave line#1 connected to the red and green, and connect line#2 to the black and yellow. Then the modem would be "L2" and the phone would be "L1".

Post back and let us know how it comes out.