need to add 30a RV service

Old 08-27-12, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need to add 30a RV service

I have the opposite situation as another poster.

I can't get an electrician out and need to install a 30 amp plug before the Labor Day weekend.

I have a multi meter, so I know to check for voltages AFTER I turn the main breaker off at the service pole and then the secondary main breaker off at the area I want to wire. I'm pretty comfortable doing the job, just need a little guidance after that.

Here are a couple of pics. The sides of the breaker say Murray, iirc.

I'll cut the main power off here:

Need to add the outlet on the post this secondary box is mounted on.

Side view into secondary box:

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-12, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It looks like you have an open slot for a single-pole 30A breaker below the breakers that are in the second panel now. Do you have some additional questions?

Old 08-27-12, 04:25 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You have room in the main but not the sub. Which box did you want to run it from?

Old 08-27-12, 06:18 PM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
At the same time you should fix your code violations. The second panel is a subpanel fed from the first panel if I understand this correctly and you appear to be grounding the neutral conductor in the subpanel. In addition, both panels appear to have feed-thru lugs. The 200 amp protected lugs in the subpanel have what appears to be #6 conductors in them. What are those #6 wires feeding and is it a big deal if they burn in two? Also, what's up with the water pipe at the lower right of the main panel? One last thing, when using phasing tape to mark conductors, you use white for neutral and not green.

Old 08-27-12, 07:04 PM
We need the service at the sub. I think whomever did the work ran out of conduit and used white pvc. Unfortunately, all the work was done before we purchased the property a few months ago.

Old 08-28-12, 10:42 PM
I'm hitting the store in the morning and see what I can figure out.

For chuckles, here's some of the work in the cabin. Hoping to get everything sorted out and corrected once we go over the septic bids.

Old 08-29-12, 06:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
We can help you fix that if you have questions.

All splices need to be in accessible junction boxes. The cables also need to be secured.

Old 08-29-12, 09:43 AM
We need service for a septic system (the main hold up for now), tool shed, front gate, and two more cabins. Once we get that sorted, we hope to come up with a master plan and if needed, complete redesign.

In the mean time, we'll keep the kids away from the cabin and boxes

Old 08-29-12, 09:59 AM
We need service for a septic system (the main hold up for now)
Is there something I'm missing here? The septic systems I'm familiar with are gravity-fed.

Old 08-29-12, 10:22 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not any more the government now requires lots of fancy doodads that cost big bucks and use electricity. Not like the old days of a just a tank and leach field. You now have the residential version of a sewer plant.

Old 08-29-12, 10:47 AM
Not like the old days of a just a tank and leach field. You now have the residential version of a sewer plant.
Well phooey! The settlement tank and leach field for the new house - duplex - that we moved into in 1958 worked just fine for well over a decade until the municipal sewer utility got to that area.

My son ("our" middle son) had to upgrade his more modern one at his old house at some point. Had a pump with it, IIRC, but I didn't realize that was a required system. What I understood at the time was that the PO had gone that route so he could have 3 or 4 tanks in series with little or no leach field 'cause the property couldn't pass a perc test.